Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak Auto Train Discussion

Postby electricron » Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:02 pm

True. But if you checked those coach cars out as midnight approaches, those coach cars immediately behind the locomotives will probably be empty. On the Auto Train, everyone is on for the entire trip all night long. ;)
electricron

Postby R&DB » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:17 am

So what is the difference between a Sleeper Car and a Deluxe Sleeper Car?
Harry
R&DB

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:27 am

A standard Superliner Sleeper car has a mix of Bedrooms and Roomettes. A Deluxe Sleeper car is all Bedrooms.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby prr60 » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:20 pm

The Deluxe Sleeper is all bedrooms on the upper level. There are roomettes on the lower level.
prr60

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Sep 08, 2017 1:43 pm

Oops, I'm sorry, you're right. I forgot about the lower level roomettes (despite having just used one a few months ago.)
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby hazmatmess » Tue Oct 17, 2017 8:31 pm

Wife and I have booked he family vacation to Disney for July of 2018 (2 kids-Son will 8 and daughter will be 5). I do not do well on the airlines. So we are driving. Going to take the autotrain home. I went through here and I am looking for the most recent information.

How far in advance do we need to book the train (looking at July 20th)? Do we have time or should we book now?

We plan on taking the family bedroom option. Are they worth staying in the whole time or are the lounge cars worth hanging out in?

Are the bedroom tickets considered first class for the diner or are they considered coach class?

I noticed that the kids meal is fish. My kids are not big fans of fish. Besides the cafe car, would they have another option in the diner?

Amtrak's website says continental breakfast. Guessing cereal, muffins, bagels.....

Any other information would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
hazmatmess

Postby walleyf » Tue Oct 17, 2017 9:17 pm

Book as far in advance as you feel safe doing as the fares are likely to be lower the earlier that you book. If you are sure of your travel dates, do it ASAP. The only downside is that you will have to pay for it long before you travel. Family rooms are very limited in number (one per sleeping car) which is reason to book early if possible as they may sell out long ahead of the regular roomettes and bedrooms which are much more plentiful.

You have some time to decide but sooner is likely to be better.

Family Bedroom is lower level so the upper level lounge car may have some attraction. Your choice and you can move back and forth as you please. No more movies in the lounge car, however. This is not a particularly scenic route and much of it is at night so it may not make much difference.

All sleeping car accommodations are considered first class; if you have a bed it is first class and not coach.

Continental breakfast is about as you describe. Bananas too.

I don't know about the diner's kids meal specifically; since the meals are free/included it is likely that something could be arranged if it is available. Neither coach or sleeper diners sell anything except alcohol so inventory control is likely to be less strict than on other Amtrak trains. Lounge car does sell and may be subject to normal Amtrak procedures and inventory control.
walleyf

Postby djlong » Wed Oct 25, 2017 12:19 pm

I can second everything the previous poster said.

I've been on the A/T several times, one trip was in the Family Bedroom each way when our daughters were 9 & 4. One of the beds was a bit smaller, which was fine for the 4-year-old.

One note - there is no bathroom in the Family Bedroom. However, you're on the lower level and there are a few bathrooms there - and they're generally easily available.

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask.
djlong

Previous

Return to Amtrak