National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: National Assn. of Railroad Passengers (NARP)

Postby trainviews » Tue Oct 17, 2017 12:16 pm

From a Copenhagen resident and avid biker here: Yes and no.

In terms of bikes on intercity or long distance trains the main target group will probably be holiday makers or other people on leisure trips going in the summer. That might still make it worthwhile as it will lure new customers, but mostly at the peak season together with all the other holiday makers. Personally I think I can count on one hand how many times I've taken my bike on an intercity train, but I tend not to do bike holidays. So it has been like for temporary job placements or so and my bike would be part of the basic luggage I want/need to bring.

Commuter traffic is a whole other story. Here people rely on their bikes for part of their transport, and many will ride it year round. The Copenhagen city trains have special bike cars, and after they made taking the bike free a couple of years ago, overall ridership jumped 10 percent (it is a city with a lot of people on bikes). Yes it takes capacity, but the trains are pretty long and not terribly crowded. A clear winner.

So: For commuting public transport and bikes makes for a really good combo, each making up for the other's disadvantages (last mile transportation for trains, longer distances for the bikes). If a city is building bike infrastructure, factoring in public transport is obvious.
For intercity and long distance trains the gains are less, but it is still a good service for a niche market, and probably a niche market that is growing.
trainviews

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 2:19 pm

Mr. Trainviews, I respect how "over there" there are many a more designated "bikeways" than here.

But there are still are areas, at least in Austria, in which autos and bikes must share the highway. I'd be petrified when rounding a curve marked 80k and at that speed, here are some cyclists.

I remember how during '60 on the family trip, after picking up the Bennie at Stuttgart, they were all over the place. Scary now that the means has found its way over here.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Tadman » Thu Oct 19, 2017 5:28 pm

Bob Roberts wrote:
east point wrote:What bicycle advocates forget is only good in fair weather and warmer times. Do not infer that we oppose bicycles on the contrary support them but still all limitations need to be considered !

I do understand and accept your point, but I should point out that the residents of Montreal, Amsterdam and Copenhagen would certainly disagree with both of us.

As does this resident of Chicago. I recall a New Years Day blizzard about three years ago found me on a blue bike share "Divvy" in Chicago in a tuxedo and topcoat on my way to the L, final destination a holiday festival.
Tadman

Postby mtuandrew » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:39 pm

Tadman wrote:As does this resident of Chicago. I recall a New Years Day blizzard about three years ago found me on a blue bike share "Divvy" in Chicago in a tuxedo and topcoat on my way to the L, final destination a holiday festival.

I think RAILROAD.NET deserves to see pictures of this occurrence. :P
mtuandrew

Previous

Return to Amtrak