Amtrak Palmetto Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: A couple of questions about the Palmetto

Postby hi55us » Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:39 pm

tpd0418 wrote:Hi,

My wife and I are traveling from Savannah to New York next week on the Palmetto and I have a couple of questions. I'm sure that these have been posted before but I've had some trouble finding the answers by searching through the forum, so please forgive me if these questions are reposts.

1. Can anyone explain what sort of dining options there will be aboard the train?
2. Does anyone know how long the scheduled stop is in Washington D.C. and if we will be allowed to get off and re-board the train?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
PDickens

The Palmetto only has a Cafe/Lounge car, which serves airline/balpark style food. Not the best stuff in the world, but it gets a 4/10 in my book. Other trains between Savannah and New York have a full-service dining car and sleeping cars, since they operate overnight.

At Washington they need to change the engine, so it usually take 15-30 minutes. You are allowed to get off the train and stretch your legs, but I would not leave the platform since the train can leave early going towards new york (or leave early to make up time).

If you can, I would definitely recommend upgrading to business class, since the Palmetto has a very nice BC car with 2-1 leather seats. Your business class ticket will also get you free drinks(Non-Alcoholic) from the cafe. You also don't have to put up with all the crying babies and the crowds of people getting on/off (only about 20 people in the BC Car).

Enjoy the trip!
hi55us

Postby afiggatt » Mon Dec 23, 2013 11:59 pm

hi55us wrote:At Washington they need to change the engine, so it usually take 15-30 minutes. You are allowed to get off the train and stretch your legs, but I would not leave the platform since the train can leave early going towards new york (or leave early to make up time).

If you can, I would definitely recommend upgrading to business class, since the Palmetto has a very nice BC car with 2-1 leather seats. Your business class ticket will also get you free drinks(Non-Alcoholic) from the cafe. You also don't have to put up with all the crying babies and the crowds of people getting on/off (only about 20 people in the BC Car).

Enjoy the trip!

The Palmetto has been running with an Amfleet I business class car with the 2x2 seating for at least several years. Not going to find the 2x1 leather seats in the cafe car anymore, just a standard cafe car IIRC. Since the coach cars for the longer trip passengers are the Amfleet IIs with the LD seats, really not much of an advantage to business class seats.

As for DC Union Station, yes, going northbound, one should stay close to the train. The stations from WAS to NYP are discharge passengers only, so the train can leave as soon as the engine swap is completed.
afiggatt

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:06 am

Train 89/90 has had a full AMF1 Business class car for at least 3.5 years now. It has been known to get the new cars with the leather seats though as of lately. They are super comfy, but theres only two or three out there right now.
No good deed goes unpunished.
ApproachMedium

Postby hi55us » Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:04 am

ApproachMedium wrote:Train 89/90 has had a full AMF1 Business class car for at least 3.5 years now. It has been known to get the new cars with the leather seats though as of lately. They are super comfy, but theres only two or three out there right now.

Ah that's unfortunate, although I understand the need to have more than 20 or so business class seats in the rear of the cafe.
hi55us

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:02 am

The only 'sure bet' to ride Business Class in 2-1 seating is come on out here.

All Midwest Corridor trains other than 370-371 'Pere Marquette' and 850-851 'Hoosier State' offer the 2-1-Cafe configured cars; the seat charge is quite reasonable and to me worth every penny of such.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby hi55us » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:13 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The only 'sure bet' to ride Business Class in 2-1 seating is come on out here.

All Midwest Corridor trains other than 370-371 'Pere Marquette' and 850-851 'Hoosier State' offer the 2-1-Cafe configured cars; the seat charge is quite reasonable and to me worth every penny of such.

I use the 2-1 Business Class cars frequently on the empire corridor up to Albany (even though there is no cafe service on most trains).
hi55us

Postby jp1822 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:31 pm

It will be nice to have leather seating in the Amfleet business class cars as it doesn't seem what Amtrak puts in these cars for seating, it just doesn't hold up. Not that the leather seating has guarantees, but I have found it to be much more comfortable.

Train 171 and other random Northeast Regional trains - of late - have been getting a regular business class car and then a 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business class car with leather seating. Course they are selling THOSE seats as coach seats and they are certainly premium seats and better than the business class seating. Train 171 actually heads to Lynchburg and the train is often overcrowded. Likewise, the cafe car line and wait is often VERY long. If there is one train that could use an extra lounge/cafe car - it is this one to/from Lynchburg. They could even do a more premium class with the 1/2 cafe and 1/2 business class car (reserved for passengers willing to pay more and travelling longer distances....).
jp1822

Business Class on Palmetto

Postby Tom » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:33 pm

This topic was discussed awhile back, and I'm hoping for an update concerning what type of business-class car is in use on the Palmetto these days. I have read that Amtrak often uses an Amfleet II coach due to the high demand for first class on this train.
Does anyone have familiarity with the business class situation at this point?
Tom

Re: Business Class on Palmetto

Postby ThirdRail7 » Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:45 pm

Nothing has changed from the A couple of questions about the Palmetto thread. Unless there is a disruption in the line up, it is a full AM-1 business class car.
I want my road foreman!
ThirdRail7

Palmetto business class

Postby Tom » Thu May 29, 2014 12:44 pm

After reading a fairly recent blog about Palmetto's business class being 2 X 2 seating, I'd like to know if anyone has ridden recently so as to know what the Business Class setup is on the Palmetto at this point in time. I'm riding it in a couple weeks.
Thanks!
Tom

Re: Palmetto business class

Postby R30A » Thu May 29, 2014 1:59 pm

Business Class:
http://files.schuminweb.com/journal/201 ... day-11.jpg
Coach Class:
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/pictur ... 080976.JPG

So in Coach class, you get slightly more legroom, slightly bigger windows and a slightly nicer seat with legrest. However, you don't get wifi.
R30A

Postby Tom » Thu May 29, 2014 4:33 pm

Seems bassackwards to me! Just spoke with an Amtrak representative who read to that business has more legroom, newspapers/mags, complimentary video and audio w/ headphones. So the photos just posted tell a different story...has anyone out there ridden the Palmetto lately and actually seen the cars in question?
Tom

Postby Bob Roberts » Thu May 29, 2014 5:13 pm

I am a regular rider in business class on the Carolinian, which I believe has the same BC config as the Palmetto. Honestly the seats have very little value, coach seats are no worse than coach but coach typically has better choices available since there are more available. Since free drink availability is limited ( water, coffee, soda), I. would value that benefit to be worth the price of two bottles of water.

The biggest value of BC is the generally cleaner bathrooms, when traveling with my wife this is a substantial benefit. If you are traveling alone YMMV.
Last edited by Bob Roberts on Thu May 29, 2014 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bob Roberts

Postby R30A » Thu May 29, 2014 5:15 pm

In general, what the agent said is correct. you just happen to be on one of the two trains in the system (the other being the Pennsylvanian) which uses both the worst business class cars and some of the nicest coaches.
R30A

Postby R30A » Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 pm

Bob Roberts wrote:I am a regular rider in business class on the Carolinian, which I believe has the same BC config as the Palmetto. Honestly the seats have very little value, coach seats are just as good and typically have better choices available since there are more of them. Free drink availability is limited, I would value it at the price of two bottles of water.

The biggest value of BC is the generally cleaner bathrooms, when traveling with my wife this is a substantial benefit. If you are traveling alone YMMV.

Yes, BC is the same on both the Palmetto and the Carolinian, however Coach is not! The Palmetto uses long distance coaches which are a lot nicer.
R30A

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak