Illinois Amtrak Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Postby HammerJack » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:38 pm

I'll be on the Lincoln Service early this November (St. Louis to Normal). Are we still at 79mph?
HammerJack

Postby Matt Johnson » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:38 pm

HammerJack wrote:I'll be on the Lincoln Service early this November (St. Louis to Normal). Are we still at 79mph?

Yep, even the short 110 demo stretch is now down to 79. The last of many false promises was 90 mph by summer 2018, but it never happened.
Matt Johnson

Postby gokeefe » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:48 pm

Ugh. Unreal.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Matt Johnson » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:56 pm

What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.
Attachments
vermonter.jpg
Matt Johnson

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:29 pm

I wonder how much of the slow progress in Illinois is the landlord rather than the tenant?
mtuandrew

Postby Greg Moore » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:19 pm

Matt Johnson wrote:What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.

BTW, I LOVE this graphic because it shows how great a network can be.

Honestly though, there need to be more trains on the ALB-BOS segment to make this network even more fully usable.

But this is part of what any train system needs, a viable network with multiple paths.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby benboston » Fri Oct 19, 2018 4:00 am

Greg Moore wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:What I find surprising is how other Obama stimulus projects are quietly producing results with little hype, while Illinois high speed rail has had a lot of hype and not much else to show for it.

BTW, I LOVE this graphic because it shows how great a network can be.

Honestly though, there need to be more trains on the ALB-BOS segment to make this network even more fully usable.

But this is part of what any train system needs, a viable network with multiple paths.

Also, to many destinations. I think the current network is only a fraction of what our end goal should be.
benboston

Postby EricL » Fri Nov 02, 2018 5:20 pm

mtuandrew wrote:I wonder how much of the slow progress in Illinois is the landlord rather than the tenant?

It was indeed UP who pulled the plug, though Amtrak shares in the blame. They were looking ahead at the inevitable migration to ETMS. ITCS isn't compatible. They're likely regretting employing it in the first place.
ITCS is about the most poor-mans-PTC as you can get. But, in the earlier days, it was a cheaper solution based on the technology feasible at the time. You have to remember that it started in Michigan in the mid-90s.
hey there guy
EricL

Postby Station Aficionado » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:32 pm

Some nice new stations—Joliet, Dwight, Pontiac, Alton (not a fan aesthetically of the new Carlinville stop), plus a renovation at Lincoln. Wonder how much speed improvement between Alton and St Louis could’ve been purchased with some of the money.
Station Aficionado

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Nov 03, 2018 2:32 pm

EricL wrote:It was indeed UP who pulled the plug, though Amtrak shares in the blame. They were looking ahead at the inevitable migration to ETMS. ITCS isn't compatible. They're likely regretting employing it in the first place.
ITCS is about the most poor-mans-PTC as you can get. But, in the earlier days, it was a cheaper solution based on the technology feasible at the time. You have to remember that it started in Michigan in the mid-90s.

Good to see you back on the forum, and yeah, that makes sense. It’ll be interesting to see if Amtrak moves to I-ETMS in Michigan once ITCS isn’t manufacturer-supported anymore. Also, I’m curious whether UP will try to wriggle out of its commitment for higher-speed rail with the FRA in friendly hands.
mtuandrew

Postby HammerJack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:14 pm

Looks like canceling the Blackhawk to Rockford cost Rauner the election. #1 voter issue.
HammerJack

Postby gokeefe » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:23 pm

Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby HammerJack » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:45 pm

gokeefe wrote:Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...

Just a joke; I doubt many even know about the Rockford train. But that would've made for a good story.
HammerJack

Postby Tadman » Thu Nov 08, 2018 2:36 pm

HammerJack wrote:
gokeefe wrote:Are you serious??!? Would love to see the press on that ...

Just a joke; I doubt many even know about the Rockford train. But that would've made for a good story.

Was curious where this was going, I haven't heard one thing of it anymore. I don't officially live in Chicago anymore but I'm in town a lot for business.
Tadman

Postby benboston » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:54 pm

Considering 150,000 people live there, maybe they should bring back service.
benboston

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak