Illinois Amtrak Service

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Illinois Amtrak Service

Postby StLouSteve » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Latest news seems to imply 90 speed next summer (2018) and 110 the following year (2019) once PTC issues are resolved.

http://www.sj-r.com/news/20171215/illin ... inal-phase
StLouSteve

Postby Woody » Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:50 pm

Thanks for posting this. Good article full of news bits.

Not sure this could be correct, tho:
"Work started in 2010 included a September 2018 deadline for spending federal funds, said Blankenhorn."
I was sure the Stimulus deadline was September 2017. Maybe everybody got a Free Pass while I wasn't paying attention.

As I've complained elsewhere, not a damn one of the big projects has completed work by the 2017 deadline and started a faster schedule. (The Cascades' new schedule Seattle-Portland, with an added early morning and a late afternoon train, starts Monday, December 18, so there's that.)

The Illinois DOT Secretary also seems to be watering down the goals, now saying that the biggest benefit will be the promised improvement in On Time Performance, whereas before the emphasis was on cutting "about an hour" off the timetable. He doesn't say a thing about capacity either, but after the Nippon Sharyo debacle crashed the bi-level order, it's probably better for him to discuss that another time, or never.

Because of a mushy paragraph, I'm not sure if the 53 minute savings is the cumulative total. Is that the next in a series of time savings of 10 minutes, then 20 minutes from double tracks near Joliet, then another 23 for a total of 53 minutes? Or is it a big bang of 53 on top of the 10 and 20 minutes, for a total savings of 1 hr 23 min? I'm a cynic in this case, so I'll assume it's 53 minutes saved for $1.8 Billion.

Maybe the biggest omission in this report regards the frequencies. It's now four Lincoln trains plus the Texas Eagle. Will there be more frequent trains? If so how many, and how will that alter the current timetable?

So I'm disappointed by the report, but of course it's better to know than to stumble ahead in the dark.
Woody

Postby quincunx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:04 pm

electricron wrote:I thought they had planned to move the Lincoln services trains to the rail line on what could be called 10th Street? Why spend hard to find money for rail projects on two different rail lines within Springfield?

I don't think they've secured the money to move to 10th St and build a new station, so it's a long ways off.
quincunx

Postby quincunx » Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:06 pm

Pathetic how long this has taken.
quincunx

Previous

Return to Amtrak