New Siemens Charger Information

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

New Siemens Charger Information

Postby frequentflyer » Wed Mar 13, 2019 8:39 pm

http://www.highspeed-rail.org/Pages/201 ... ting-.aspx

Read how they are doing in the field.
frequentflyer

Re: New Siemens Charger Information

Postby Matt Johnson » Fri Mar 15, 2019 8:31 pm

Note that Amtrak wants a bolt-on nose of some sort for the long distance version. I always suspected that the original design would prove difficult and expensive to repair after the inevitable grade crossing collisions.
Matt Johnson

Postby Nasadowsk » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:32 am

Matt Johnson wrote:Note that Amtrak wants a bolt-on nose of some sort for the long distance version. I always suspected that the original design would prove difficult and expensive to repair after the inevitable grade crossing collisions.

The failure breakdown was interesting. 'loading problems'? What the hell does that mean? More importantly, what is Siemens doing to fix this?

Interesting, the ever-maligned 'computer' seems to be more reliable than the radio. I'm not sure how you make a radio unreliable. The new locomotives one will be 'clean'. Good thing, I don't think congtree would like a radio that talks dirty :)

So Amtrak's LD order will be Siemens. No surprise there.

What is a surprise is they're looking at EMUs for...something? The (NE/Keystone) Corridor? Since when was Amtrak that forward-thinking?

Please, anyone at Amtrak reading this, don't call the new Acela replacements 'Acela 21". There's gotta be something better than that lame name.

(I remember when Acela was 'American Flyer", that was a dodged bullet - Lionel was always cooler ;) )
Nasadowsk

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:51 am

If Amtrak orders any MUs, my suggestion to them as well as partnering states would be to have the MUs run on the Keystones-electric ones of course. For the Springfield Line, run them on the shuttles, obviously under diesel power.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby Acela150 » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:42 am

Nasadowsk wrote:
Matt Johnson wrote:Note that Amtrak wants a bolt-on nose of some sort for the long distance version. I always suspected that the original design would prove difficult and expensive to repair after the inevitable grade crossing collisions.

The failure breakdown was interesting. 'loading problems'? What the hell does that mean? More importantly, what is Siemens doing to fix this?

Loading problems means that the Engine does not respond to throttle movements. It's a more common problem them you'd think.
Acela150

Postby Tadman » Wed Mar 20, 2019 2:37 pm

It's my understanding that "loading problems" mean the traction motors will not accept significant amounts of amps from the alternator. In earlier days it was more related to transition, now it seems to be related to computers controlling the flow of electrons to motors.

This is all very lay-person and I understand Nasadowsk is a real live electrics guy of some sort.
Tadman

Postby rcthompson04 » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:14 pm

njt/mnrrbuff wrote:If Amtrak orders any MUs, my suggestion to them as well as partnering states would be to have the MUs run on the Keystones-electric ones of course. For the Springfield Line, run them on the shuttles, obviously under diesel power.

You got to wonder if they are thinking of buying some Bombers from the New Jersey Transit (SEPTA option) EMU order.

I have wondered if it would be better if PennDOT/SEPTA bought more ACS-64s and some coaches with bathrooms and had SEPTA run the Keystones.
rcthompson04

Postby DutchRailnut » Tue Apr 02, 2019 4:28 pm

wonder why we named this tread " new Siemens Charger Information"
can't you tread drifters start your own tread ?
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby David Benton » Tue Apr 02, 2019 5:05 pm

Loading problems maybe something to do with excitation of the alternator fields, not been fast enough to respond to the load been put on them .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Acela150 » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:27 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:wonder why we named this tread " new Siemens Charger Information"

Didn't realize you got a promotion to admin or mod.

Tadman wrote:It's my understanding that "loading problems" mean the traction motors will not accept significant amounts of amps from the alternator. In earlier days it was more related to transition, now it seems to be related to computers controlling the flow of electrons to motors.

This is all very lay-person and I understand Nasadowsk is a real live electrics guy of some sort.

Pretty much what you said is the issue.
Acela150

Postby Tadman » Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:54 am

Acela150 wrote:
DutchRailnut wrote:wonder why we named this tread " new Siemens Charger Information"

He's actually the smartest man in the world, just ask him.
Tadman

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:23 am

for a fairly dumb lawyer you should look up slander.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Acela150 » Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:45 am

Tadman wrote:
Acela150 wrote:

He's actually the smartest man in the world, just ask him.

Where did I say he wasn't smart? I asked when he got a promotion to an admin or mod after he made a criticizing remark.

DutchRailnut wrote:for a fairly dumb lawyer you should look up slander.

I'm curious as to where you got the idea that I'm a lawyer. Cause I'm far from it.
Acela150

Postby Tadman » Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:59 am

He's referring to me. I don't hesitate to break his balls because he's wrong a lot more often than he thinks. Like when he brings up slander... It has to be a false statement to be slander. Dutch is wrong about a whole lot of stuff on here, and I point it out, but he ignores it.
Tadman

Postby electricron » Thu Apr 11, 2019 12:23 am

Tadman wrote:He's referring to me. I don't hesitate to break his balls because he's wrong a lot more often than he thinks. Like when he brings up slander... It has to be a false statement to be slander. Dutch is wrong about a whole lot of stuff on here, and I point it out, but he ignores it.

Can't we have a serious discussion about topics without making a personal attack?
I'll admit I don't agree with everyone all the time, but I mostly don't call people out personally if I disagree with them. I try to keep the conservation going, expressing my point of view. I'm not trying to convince others to change theirs, no one should. Please, can't we return this discussion back to New Siemens Chargers diesel locomotives?
electricron

Next

Return to Amtrak