Boardman blames Moorman for NYP Derailments

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Boardman blames Moorman for NYP Derailments

Postby Tadman » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:39 pm

This month in Trains Mag Joe Boardman says: "The budget was wiped out for the Zero Defect Safety program at Penn Station under Wick's watch. So that's why the Penn Station derailments occured. Wick wasn't paying attention; he was only there a day or two per week".

You gotta be sh1tting me. Never mind Boardman had a far worse safety record, never mind the deferred maintenance, never mind the fact that Moorman had only been there six months, never mind the labor morale lows during Boardman tenure. Who prints this stuff? Why isn't there some kind of editorial by the magazine questioning him?
Tadman

Re: Boardman blames Moorman for NYP Derailments

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Mar 03, 2019 8:53 pm

Tadman wrote:This month in Trains Mag Joe Boardman says: "The budget was wiped out for the Zero Defect Safety program at Penn Station under Wick's watch. So that's why the Penn Station derailments occured. Wick wasn't paying attention; he was only there a day or two per week".

You gotta be sh1tting me. Never mind Boardman had a far worse safety record, never mind the deferred maintenance, never mind the fact that Moorman had only been there six months, never mind the labor morale lows during Boardman tenure. Who prints this stuff? Why isn't there some kind of editorial by the magazine questioning him?

Boardman might have a point, but (1) having the former CEO of Norfolk Southern was a huge win for Amtrak and I wouldn't second-guess the railroading skills of someone like Wick Moorman and (2) I'm beyond tired of people fighting in public these days--Boardman, grow up and behave; attacking Wick Morman like that reflects badly on you.
SouthernRailway

Postby Tadman » Mon Mar 04, 2019 9:36 am

Totally agree. Boardman retired with a pretty good public reputation. To insiders and buffs it was a bit different, but to John Q Public, if they cared, Boardman was a decent guy.

SouthernRailway wrote: I wouldn't second-guess the railroading skills of someone like Wick Moorman

Again completely agree. Moorman and NS literally broke the Harriman (safety) award. NS got it so many times that they quit giving it out. Boardman looks like an idiot when he tries to put those derailments at the feet of defacto Mr. Safety.

At this point, I have to ask, does Boardman become the next Don Phillips? Will he be making inane conjectures about non-issues for the next 20 years?
Tadman

Postby Suburban Station » Mon Mar 04, 2019 11:35 am

root cause was boardman's approach to investing in NYP was inadequate. the service window approach on weekends was not keeping up with maintenance needs. boardman was not a competent president.
Suburban Station

Postby Tadman » Thu Mar 07, 2019 9:51 am

I think we should close this thread for the foreseeable future due to the loss of Mr. Boardman.
Tadman

Return to Amtrak