Adding Baggage Car Access

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Adding Baggage Car Access

Postby Greg Moore » Wed Mar 06, 2019 12:41 pm

mtuandrew wrote:
Greg Moore wrote:No, only Bag-dorms. So the OBS folks have a private place to sleep. These will probably end up on routes like 448/449.

I'm not sure I'd even bother with the $10. It just strikes me as a nuisance fee, and since Amtrak doesn't charge for when you check a bag in the station and it has to be brought out to the train and then to the baggage car, I think a 1-2 car length walk with a bag doesn't deserve an extra $10 fee.

No, not the V-II bag-dorm, I’m talking about the single-level Regional replacement for the Metroliner and NPCU. Specifically I’m thinking for coach trains that wouldn’t have baggage service, but could offer it

As for the fee, I’d rather start with it and decide to cancel it systemwide later, than not have a few and try to start charging it after offering the service for some time. Specifically I mean for passengers (especially coach passengers) who realize at the last minute that they didn’t need the kitchen sink AND the dishwasher in their overheads, since that is a genuine pain for crew to wrestle.

Oh right, about the "Amfleet III".
But I figure for now concentrate on stuff actually owned or in the production queue.

As for coach passengers, there's generally room in the coaches already on Amfleet IIs. I'm inclined to not solve their problems.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby ryanov » Fri Mar 08, 2019 3:48 am

My experience has been the big problem is luggage tags, for whatever reason. The crew not having luggage tags and having to scare them up, etc. I’ve eventually gotten my bag checked en route both times it was necessary.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby jp1822 » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 am

Sometimes late connecting trains from the West have connecting passengers continuing on via the Cardinal or Lake Shore Limited. I remember a few times where such passengers had not checked their luggage on the Superliner portion, but they HAD PLANNED to check before boarding the single level long distance train. But being that the train was running late into Chicago and Lake Shore was waiting to leave at its then departure time of 7:30 pm (this was back in 2005 and 2006 specifically), passengers in sleeper didn’t have a chance to check their luggage. The sleeper attendant got the passengers quickly aboard and then she found a pile of luggage left outside the door. Further inquiry led that it belonged to those passengers who had just boarded. The baggage was quickly loaded by the sleeper attendant and put in the Heritage crew car that was adjacent to the NY Viewliner sleeper. Unfortunately the Heritage sleeper was positioned so that the roomettes were most adjacent to the Viewliner, not the section that had once contained the double bedrooms (and was now gutted to just be a large open space). Long story short, across upstate NY and to NYP, the attendant was constantly going back and forth to the Heritage Crew Car to get the luggage she had crammed into the closest roomette to the VIewliner’s exit door!

So not a new practice, but not a practice that Amtrak prefers either. Trying to get added revenue via baggage fees tends to be a lot of work (for Amtrak) with a relative minimal return. Eliminating various station staff surely didn’t help, Needless to say there were high hopes that this would be a form of lucrative incremental revenue. I just don’t see it, IMHO, and the cost and amount of VIewliner baggage cars procured - better to have spent money on additional Baggage/Dorms. The Superliner Trans Dorm/Sleeper could then be a complete all-revenue roomette car, thus adding significant capacity and revenue.
jp1822

Postby John_Perkowski » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:46 am

The other thing that didn’t help was eliminating the position of baggageman on trains.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Previous

Return to Amtrak