History of Southwest Chief route semaphores

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

History of Southwest Chief route semaphores

Postby Anthony » Thu Feb 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I have a couple of questions related to the history of the semaphores along the route of the Southwest Chief. Before I ask, I just want to mention that I've taken a liking to the fact that the route still has many classic semaphores in place. My questions are:

1. Roughly what decade were the semaphores along the route of the SWC installed?

2. How likely are the semaphores to become victims of the pending infrastructure upgrades on the route now that Amtrak released their match for the 2018 TIGER Grant?
Anthony

Re: History of Southwest Chief route semaphores

Postby MACTRAXX » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:57 am

Anthony: Interesting question...

As you may know these signals are of ATSF origin...A possible source of further information may
be the Santa Fe Railway Historical and Modeling Society https://sfrhms.org

MACTRAXX
EXPRESS TRAIN TO NEW YORK PENN STATION-NO JAMAICA ON THIS TRAIN-PLEASE STAND CLEAR OF THE CLOSING TRAIN DOORS
MACTRAXX

Re: History of Southwest Chief route semaphores

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:48 am

They are on the way to retirement,parts for the blade mech are now rare,old "retired"signals are used as part supplies,BNSF has been putting in
"Searchlight" heads as needed for a while. 2 active CTC sections are over Raton Pass and Glorieta Pass under BNSF DS-18 control.
All the Semaphores in the ABQ Metro area went away as new CTC signals were installed for NMRX Railrunner operations by Herzog.
As it was former ATSF "lines west" was Searchlight heads west with ABQ as MP 0.00 heading west to LAUS via Isleta/Dalies cutoff routing.

As work progresses on the Raton and Glorieta subs the remaining Blades will be retired/replaced,the ATS system will still be maintained,
with that"new" facing point switch indication added.
From Lamy to the Transconn at Dalies will get I-ETMS PTC installed by Herzog for NMRX operations
Backshophoss

Return to Amtrak