66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby train2 » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:28 pm

On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Train comes from Norfolk so I know its has a cafe car. Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?

And in an related question I take it all Keystone trains have NO food service even out of NY?
train2
 
Posts: 814
Joined: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:56 pm

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby ryanov » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:49 am

No cafe car at all on Keystone trains.

I was in business class from WAS to NWK not that long ago on 66, and I went several times to get drinks from the cafe car before I got off the train, so I'd guess at least 11:00p if not later.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4868
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby Acela150 » Fri Feb 15, 2019 12:57 am

train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Train comes from Norfolk so I know its has a cafe car. Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?

And in an related question I take it all Keystone trains have NO food service even out of NY?


66 actually comes from Newport News. I have ridden 66 several times to Boston from Philly. The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP. The cafe closes upon arrival of Providence.

Keystone trains don't offer a cafe. The train is funded by the State of Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Harrisburg and it's a short 2 hour ride between the two. Most passengers are going between NYP-PHL or PHL-LNC or HAR. The ride from PHL to LNC is about an hour. However the Pennsylvanian does offer a cafe simply cause it continues to Pittsburgh.
Acela150
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 am

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:54 am

Acela150 wrote:Keystone trains don't offer a cafe. The train is funded by the State of Pennsylvania from Philadelphia to Harrisburg and it's a short 2 hour ride between the two. Most passengers are going between NYP-PHL or PHL-LNC or HAR. The ride from PHL to LNC is about an hour. However the Pennsylvanian does offer a cafe simply cause it continues to Pittsburgh.


The cafe car on the Pennsy closes around HAR to let the attendant have a break and eat. It reopens about an hour later.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
User avatar
STrRedWolf
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby Tadman » Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:49 pm

For what it's worth, the food options in and near major terminals are so much better than cafe cars, I'd take advantage of that during motor change at DC or NYP layover if possible. The only reason I hit the cafe on a corridor train ride is to break up the ride and have a beer or snack.
User avatar
Tadman
 
Posts: 9213
Joined: Wed Sep 01, 2004 10:21 am

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:41 pm

Tadman wrote:For what it's worth, the food options in and near major terminals are so much better than cafe cars, I'd take advantage of that during motor change at DC or NYP layover if possible. The only reason I hit the cafe on a corridor train ride is to break up the ride and have a beer or snack.


Agreed. A breakfast sandwich and coffee on the Pennsy going back from Pittsburgh isn't bad. It's no pancakes and bacon, sausage, eggs, etc but then this isn't an overnight train.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
User avatar
STrRedWolf
 
Posts: 1197
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP.
Is the cafe restocked and serviced in New York?
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 5338
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby Acela150 » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:22 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP.
Is the cafe restocked and serviced in New York?


That I don't know about. I think it depends by trip.
Acela150
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 am

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby gaspeamtrak » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:33 pm

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP.
Is the cafe restocked and serviced in New York?


What about Washington? Would they restock it there???
gaspeamtrak
 
Posts: 158
Joined: Fri May 08, 2009 9:16 am

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby Acela150 » Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:13 pm

gaspeamtrak wrote:
R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Acela150 wrote:
train2 wrote:On train 66 northbound on the corridor what food service is offered? Since this train operates overnight on the NEC what would be the latest time the cafe would be open? And more importantly would the cafe open in the early AM before arrival in Boston? I am guessing it is not open overnight on the NEC?
The cafe is open all night except during the stop in NYP.
Is the cafe restocked and serviced in New York?


What about Washington? Would they restock it there???


I couldn't even guess as I rarely board a train in DC.
Acela150
 
Posts: 169
Joined: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:00 am

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer » Fri Feb 22, 2019 12:30 am

Getting back to the original poster's questions. Yes, the Café is open all night except for closing during the power swap in WAS & during the dwell in NYP as Acela150 stated. As much as I agree with Tadman regarding eating in the terminals, that's really not an option while traveling on 66. In Washington your only options are McDonalds & Au Bon Pain. In NYP, your only options are again Au Bon Pain, McDonalds in the LIRR area or Rose's Pizza which closes by 2am weekdays. Upstairs Don Pepe and Espresso Café are both open around the clock. Regarding the Café being restocked in WAS, very rarely does it happen. No restocking for the most part in NYP. The Café closes between Providence & Rte.128. Keep in mind there may be a decent line after PVD due to the heavy daily commuter travel if you're traveling weekdays.
AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer
 
Posts: 96
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2015 6:46 pm

Re: 66 Food service on the corridor early AM

Postby ryanov » Mon Feb 25, 2019 6:31 pm

Thunder Grill in WAS is open till 10:00p. That's my go-to when needing food before 66. It's not incredible food, but beats the on board stuff.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4868
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ


Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests