Cardinal Reschedule

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Cardinal Reschedule

Postby east point » Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:27 pm

The PRIIA reports which have been deleted by Amtrak showed that LD trains connecting thru CHI had anywhere from 19 - 40% connecting passengers depending on train. Believe Capitol was highest? Why do you think that connecting trains are so often held or passengers are bused to a connecting point?/
east point

Postby Tadman » Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:11 am

I’ve heard before that connections are important, but are they Los Angeles to New York, or Minneapolis to Cleveland? That’s a big difference.
Tadman

Postby bill613A » Fri Mar 08, 2019 9:49 pm

The biggest flaw in the CARDINAL schedule is the time it takes between Chicago and Cincinnati. Unless this can be tightened up the train is going to continue as a rolling joke. Many years ago IIRC there was talk of rerouting it thru Ft. Wayne but I don't know if that routing via NS is still viable. In the 70's & 80's the CHI-CIN route was always on the list of emerging corridors but nothing was ever done. In the mid 80's for a brief period the train had a degree of reliability when it ran over the C&O via Peru, Marion and Muncie but because it bypassed Indianapolis that route was eventually dropped. IMO the only way to have a hint of decent reliable service is:

1. Running daily DC-Chicago with the CIN-CHI segment overnite to mitigate the slow running time using Superliner equipment.
2. The Superliner equipment would come from the CAPITOL LTD.
3. The CAPITOL LTD would run with Amfleet and Viewliner equipment CHI-PITT-NY with a DC section switched at Harrisburg via the old port line.
4. The PENNSYLVANIAN would run on a later schedule EB and an earlier schedule WB.
5, The ex-B&O line PITT-DC would lose service.
6. A stop should be made at Oxford, OH (Miami of Ohio Univ).
bill613A

Postby east point » Fri Mar 08, 2019 10:09 pm

Until Congress changes the Amtrak legislation to acceptable LD requirements any route change and the necessary capital expenses we cannot expect any upgrades
east point

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 2:33 pm

As to point 3 above, I think it would be faster to split the train at 30th St. and run via the NEC; the Washington section of the Broadway did that at one time. Also, you'd have electric power from 30th St. instead of diesel over the Port Road (NS willing) and south from Perryville.
Last edited by ExCon90 on Sun Mar 10, 2019 1:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ExCon90

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Mar 09, 2019 5:57 pm

I agree with most of those Bill, and a Broadway Limited section of the Capitol Limited really is overdue, but why move from the B&O PGH-WAS to the Pennsylvania Broad Way and Port Road?

A Cardinal with a late-night Washington or Chicago arrival is an interesting idea. To make it work, I think you’d need a Regional with baggage service for a cross-platform transfer, since I’d be willing to bet a lot of traffic from West Virginia goes northeast of Washington. You’d also want to convince Indiana, Virginia, and West Virginia that a more reliable, daily train is worth having it at the wee hours in at least one direction.

How can we speed up CHI-IND if there’s an indifferent landlord in the way? It sounds like CSX is slowly rebuilding the Monon/NYC route to allow 310,000 lb cars, but isn’t interested in speed upgrades past 40 mph freight/60 mph passenger. IND-CIN doesn’t seem as bad or as inconsistent. Amtrak has periodically made noise about moving to the ex-NYC from the ex-B&O, so maybe that’s why they haven’t pushed harder on Oxford.
mtuandrew

Postby dowlingm » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:59 am

east point wrote:Until Congress changes the Amtrak legislation to acceptable LD requirements any route change and the necessary capital expenses we cannot expect any upgrades

Ohio and Indiana State governments finding enthusiasm for passenger rail generally wouldn't hurt either?
dowlingm

Postby bill613A » Mon Mar 11, 2019 8:14 pm

I think the ex-NYC line CIN-IND is now a short line and may have been truncated. It's poor condition was one of the reasons ATK switched to the less than swift ex-B&O line. Don't expect any financial support from Ohio. It is not in their DNA. My suggestion for the CARDINAL reset is not perfect especially cutting the NEC direct connections to Va, & W.Va. However I do think Virginia will start a second Roanoke train on a reverse schedule which should mitigate that problem somewhat. IF the CHI-CIN times could be tightened it would open a few more options but it doesn't appear that is on the horizon. What I do think lies ahead depends on this "corridor" plan and the pressure to cut less than stellar performing LD trains, the tri-weekly CARDINAL & SUNSET being the prime target so the time is right to get proactive.
bill613A

Previous

Return to Amtrak