PA announcements on overnight trains

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

PA announcements on overnight trains

Postby danib62 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:06 am

What is the policy on stop announcements on overnight trains? I took the 67 from BOS to WAS a couple weeks ago and the crews from BOS-NYP made minimal/hushed announcements and at one point said they weren't going to make further ones and to set an alarm to remind yourself for your stop. Once we got to NYP the new crew came on and blasted announcements constantly for the rest of the trip to WAS which was quite irritating. Isn't there some policy against this? I wrote into customer service to complain but still haven't gotten a response in 2 weeks.
"We are running with normal train service on the Red Line. We apologize for the inconvenience."
danib62

Re: PA announcements on overnight trains

Postby CarterB » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:48 am

"....next stop, Trenton.....TRENTON NEXT.. ...TRENTON!!!! (we're awake at this ungodly hour so you should be too)"
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:38 pm

My understanding is that from 11PM to I think 6AM (might be 7) they avoid making announcements.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby ExCon90 » Thu Feb 07, 2019 3:31 pm

CarterB wrote:"....next stop, Trenton.....TRENTON NEXT.. ...TRENTON!!!! (we're awake at this ungodly hour so you should be too)"

Years ago when I commuted from Fleetwood on the Harlem, the last train left GCT around 1.30 am; prior to departure a trainman would stand at the front of the car and at the top of his voice shout out the name of every single station to North White Plains (and there were a lot of them in the late 60's). I found it irritating at the time, but since then I've sometimes wondered how many times that trainman had been accosted by a well-lubricated passenger somewhere around Melrose who wanted to know what time we get to Hastings. Maybe a present or retired conductor can say what could be done in such a case--put the passenger off the train at a station of his choice to make his own arrangements from there? What else could he do?
ExCon90

Postby ryanov » Thu Feb 07, 2019 6:52 pm

I believe Mr. Moore is correct: 11:00 PM to 7:00 AM. This is problematic on trains that cross timezones, IMO, as it sometimes results in these announcements being made at what is really 6. I don''t generally sleep on trains except in a roomette (I just can't), so that tends to be when I run into it. For some reason, I never seem to remember that I'd better go to sleep right around 11 or I'm going to have a problem in the morning.

I think in general, at least if you're in sleeper accommodations, more control is needed over quiet hours. The current hours seem to assume that everyone can fall asleep on a dime at 11, if anyone is to get 8 hours of sleep.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby bratkinson » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:41 pm

The last time I rode #66, about a year ago, the WAS-NYP conductor must have thought he was the announcer on some radio station. I don't think more than 10 minutes elapsed between announcements on the PA!

About 10 minutes before the next stop, he'd make an announcement. Then 5 minutes before, 1 minute before, 2 or 3 times WHILE STOPPED, and upon leaving, 'next stop is xxxx in yy minutes'. Trying to get ANY sleep on that train was impossible! I finally fell asleep while stopped at NYP and woke up about PVD.

Thanks for the reminder. I'm booked on #67 BOS-WAS about a month from now and I think I'll change my reservation. One never knows when I'll get the loud mouth on the southbound trip!

As far as PA 'quiet time', fortunately, all the LD trains seem to follow this rule...mostly. I think it's 10PM to 7AM, but on some trains, it's been 11PM and some dining car LSAs like to wake up everyone at 6:30! Surprisingly, I FINALLY found a roomette in a Viewliner where the volume control actually WORKS a couple weeks ago on the Silver Meteor. But not well enough to completely silence the thing! I'm still debating whether I'll bring a screw driver and neatly disconnect the speaker, or just punch the screwdriver through the speaker a couple times!
bratkinson

Postby Tadman » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:03 pm

I've had pretty good luck regarding quiet hours. Most of my overnight rides are City of New Orleans or Sunset Limted, although I had a few LSL rides last two years. The thing I've found that is far more annoying is crew talking over each other on the PA. A few weeks back, the diner or lounge guy kept trying to talk over another crew person who was SAYING THE SAME THING. The absurdity of those two trying to out-shout each other to say the same thing was like a british comedy sketch (IE not that funny but more absurd).

The other thing was a family of five that boarded the southbound City of New Orleans in Champaign Urbana at something like midnight. I had the roomette next to the big family bedroom. They boarded in an explosion of noise, and I heard one child should (literally shout) "THIS IS OUR TRAIN NOW". Fortunately they quieted down, but it did wake me up. I think it's great that a family is exposing their kids to sleeper trains. But perhaps a little expectations management on the part of parents is in order, IE "dont' shout on the train".

It is beyond imagination why there aren't quiet hours signs in the vestibule, or perhaps a sign that says "this is quiet time" hung out at 10p. Also, the car attendant should have firmly told the family that it was quiet hours as they board. I think that is squarely in their duty.
Tadman

Postby ExCon90 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Time was when every Pullman car had a sign posted in the corridor reading "QUIET IS REQUESTED FOR THE BENEFIT OF THOSE WHO HAVE RETIRED." I think the flip side, displayed the next morning, said "HAVE YOU FORGOTTEN ANY PERSONAL BELONGINGS?" Would that work today? (I've often thought that if anybody saved one it could be displayed at retiree luncheons.)
ExCon90

Postby mmi16 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:47 pm

And on the flip side

You SOB! I slept past my stop because you didn't announce it loud enough and often enough.

Sort of like bacon & eggs - a days work for a chicken, a lifetime investment for a pig.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby Greg Moore » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:02 pm

mmi16 wrote:And on the flip side

You SOB! I slept past my stop because you didn't announce it loud enough and often enough.

Sort of like bacon & eggs - a days work for a chicken, a lifetime investment for a pig.

Which according to my understanding of the employee handbook, at least on LD trains, the crew will make a point of waking passengers (part of the reason they seat them by car, and if you do move to another car, they warn you you may not be woken up, something I've personally seen.)
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Acela150 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:43 pm

I have taken 66 quite a bit. The crews that run from WAS-NYP constantly make announcements, and the crews after NYP don't make any announcements until PVD. In technical terms quiet hours (no announcements) is from 10-6. The train is a corridor train and that's how the WAS-NYP crews treat it. Not like a few hundred people are trying to sleep.
Acela150

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:21 pm

Just scenario but you may have had a Cdr of extra list, who had his tookus reamed by some trainmaster for not making enough announcements.
now catching a train at night, he just does what he was told.
Sometimes trainmasters do not consider all scenarios.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby ryanov » Sun Feb 10, 2019 3:40 am

I've taken 66 quite a few times myself and never noticed any particular verbosity in announcements. I have taken it anywhere between WAS and NWK.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Return to Amtrak