Amtrak carbon footprint offset.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Amtrak carbon footprint offset.

Postby David Benton » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:00 am

Buried in the sustainability section of Amtrak was this link .
https://carbonfund.org/partners/amtrak/
I thought the cost to offset a reasonable length journey quite low. 65 cents , Boston to New York.
Does amtrak off this opportunity at the ticketing stage?

Please lets not discuss the politics , or the science of carbon offsetting. I am more interested in how easy/promoted it is, for a passenger to offset their journeys carbon foot print , should they wish to do so .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Re: Amtrak carbon footprint offset.

Postby andrewjw » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:41 am

No, this is not mentioned directly on Amtrak's website outside of the Carbon Fund link. Carbon Fund is a nonprofit organization without a direct connection to Amtrak and donations to Carbon Fund are not the only way someone might want to offset the climate impact of their travel. I have no complaints about them linking to it, but would be surprised if it was to be included on the ticketing page, especially under current Washington administration.
andrewjw

Postby electricron » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:33 am

If you think the suggest offset is too low, there is nothing in the world preventing you from donating more.
It's impossible to calculate any real offset because ridership on the NEC varies by the hour, by the day, by the season, and therefore by every train. How full the train is - is the main variable factor in calculating that offset.

Do you know what the carbon offset charity does with the money you donate to them?
A $5 donation to Alto Mayo Conservation Initiative = 10.68 trees planted.
That's around 2 trees per dollar.
Last edited by electricron on Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
electricron

Postby eolesen » Thu Jan 17, 2019 9:41 am

Airlines have offered carbon offset calculators and links to a preferred provider for at least ten years. Why shouldn't Amtrak?

My weekly trip on business comes out to around $4 or I can use miles to pay for it.

https://co2offsets.sustainabletravelint ... fsets/trip

Meanwhile, Amtrak's options are limited -- you can only choose a minimum of $4.50, $10, or $20.

Interesting that my airline flight offset comes out to be less expensive than it would be for rail....
eolesen

Postby David Benton » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Thanks for the perspectives, guys.
Ron, correct, Nothing to stop a passenger choosing to pay more. My point was , if it was at the ticketing stage , I would think a lot of people would click for $ 4 .50 . A very small % would bother looking for a link to do so .
50 cents per tree is very cheap, I would say that is a large scale planting in somewhere like Brazil . Trees i plant , i'm looking at $2-$3 per tree , plus planting cost/time .
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:18 pm

I haven't looked lately, but I know in the past, the Amtrak Rewards site let you buy carbon credits. I've done that in the past.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Return to Amtrak