Metroliner 50th anniverary January 16, 1969

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Metroliner 50th anniverary January 16, 1969

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:41 pm

50 years have now passed since the first Metroliner made its first official service on January 16, 1969. The daily round trip was expanded to a peak of 15 round trips. This was the first dedicated high speed rail project in the United States.

Even though the Metroliner, as part of the Johnson Administration's 1965 high speed rail demonstration program was one item in the Great Society platform, it has made a lasting effect as much as other items in the Great Society such as Medicare/Medicaid, food stamps subsidies, public broadcasting and a National Council of Arts & Humanities, although overlooked. Without the late 1960s high speed rail project, there would have been less national investment or interest in a revitalized Northeast Corridor - likely no improvement projects in the 1970s/1980s and also no electrification north of New Haven. The Acela Express would not have been conceived and today's modern NEC would not be the case. In addition, the Metroliner gave by-products in the form of the Amfleet and SPV -the latter still serving corridor passengers daily. All this progress since 1965 can been seen along all 457 miles of the NEC, plus branches such as the Keystone and to some degree on other designated HSR corridors awaiting work.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: Metroliner 50th anniverary January 16, 1969

Postby NaugyRR » Thu Jan 17, 2019 10:38 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:...the Metroliner gave by-products in the form of the Amfleet and SPV -the latter still serving corridor passengers daily...

I think you meant the former; the SPV isn't serving much at the moment, haha
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Re: Metroliner 50th anniverary January 16, 1969

Postby NY&LB » Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:39 am

and interesting to note that the Metroliners made the NYP-WAS run in 2:59 with stops and 2:30 Non-Stop whereas now, 50 years later, the Acela makes the same run in 2:53 to 2:55
NY&LB

Return to Amtrak