Four Week US "Rail Cruise"

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Four Week US "Rail Cruise"

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Jan 12, 2019 3:44 pm

Gotta admit, it would be very nice to have a 5br/diner-lounge at my disposal - call it RailBnB :-D Wouldn’t even need to be a full diner, as I would recommend taking advantage of as much local food as possible. EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.

What about passengers with a little less scratch, but still able to afford sleeper rates if booked in advance?
mtuandrew

Postby Bob Roberts » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:02 pm

mtuandrew wrote:EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.

My comment was only based on how tired I am of diner food after a one way trip on the Builder or Crescent. Thinking about 10 more trips of that length in quick succession quickly leads to a feeling of 'yuck.' (having said that I did think that LD diner food was decent before the last round of changes). I haven't been brave enough to take advantage of food delivery on Amtrak, the narrow (and uncertain) time windows have always discouraged me.
Bob Roberts

Postby electricron » Sat Jan 12, 2019 5:40 pm

Are there any private sleeper cars available for 4 week straight anymore? You would think all of them are partially book, without a full month available.
How large is your group?
electricron

Postby CarterB » Sat Jan 12, 2019 8:49 pm

PV....and get all the food you want, to your own tastes.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby RandomRailfan » Tue Jan 15, 2019 4:03 am

Gotta admit, it would be very nice to have a 5br/diner-lounge at my disposal - call it RailBnB :-D Wouldn’t even need to be a full diner, as I would recommend taking advantage of as much local food as possible. EDIT: Mr. Roberts, why do you say that? Seems like food delivery takes care of much of the food issue.

Food would be a huge element of this tour, stopping at various places across the country with some meals brought from local eating establishments, as well as fresh, local ingredients being supplied to the dining car.
RandomRailfan

Postby electricron » Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:06 am

RandomRailfan wrote:Food would be a huge element of this tour, stopping at various places across the country with some meals brought from local eating establishments, as well as fresh, local ingredients being supplied to the dining car.

Amtrak does not stock fresh, local foods in their dining cars, you are in for a severe disappointment.
electricron

Postby Jeff Smith » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:30 am

^ I think that’s in context of a PV, not Amtrak food service.
Next stop, Willoughby
~Jeff Smith (fka "Sarge") :: RAILROAD.NET Site Administrator
Jeff Smith
Site Admin

Postby CarterB » Wed Jan 16, 2019 10:26 am

Jeff Smith wrote:^ I think that’s in context of a PV, not Amtrak food service.

Totally agree!!! and better sleeping accommodations as well, with usually the owner and assistant taking care of your every need. Plus, most have better ride than Amtrak cars, many have either a dome or an open platform observation. Amtrak usually, (but not always) places such PV at end of train, which means total privacy and best view/s.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Previous

Return to Amtrak