Stockton Triangle Route - Where to transfer

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

Stockton Triangle Route - Where to transfer

Postby Rail Boy » Sun Dec 30, 2018 1:32 am

I will be coming in from the East on the Zephyr later this year. I was looking at the schedule and there is a San Joaquin train that leaves SAC at 5:30pm, so I was thinking about completing the WYE move if the Zephyr is already a few hours late. I have already ridden the Coast Starlight, so I have already covered SJC-OAK-SAC. Of course we need to change trains in order to get back to EMY / OAK. While Stockton seems to be a nice happening place and might be a nice place to grab a bite, I would miss the small part between the station and the WYE junction (since there are two stations). Our options are Modesto (2 hours), Turlock (90 minutes), or Merced (40 minutes). Which of these stations would be best to transfer at? Do any of these stations have anything within walking distance, either a restaurant or even a convenience store? Note I will be doing this trip over the summer.
Rail Boy

Re: Stockton Triangle Route - Where to transfer

Postby Backshophoss » Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:11 am

If the plan is to ride the Alamont Commuter Express to San Jose, Don't believe they have mid day service and their station is on UP trackage
at Stockton,while the Amtrak/ex-ATSF station is in downtown Stockton.
If the plan is Sacramento-Modesto-Oakland, best civil bet would be Modesto a staffed station that handles baggage
Backshophoss

Postby Rail Boy » Mon Dec 31, 2018 12:35 am

If the plan is Sacramento-Modesto-Oakland

That was the plan. While we'll be ticketed on the Zephyr to Emeryville, we might bail at Sacramento and do the triangle if the Zephyr is close to 2 hours late. The scheduled connection time in Sacramento is close to 3 hours and we don't feel like waiting for three hours to start the triangle, but we're willing to do it if the Zephyr is a few hours late, narrowing the connection time.

What amenities does Modesto have? Is there a convenience store or even a restaurant nearby?
Rail Boy

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Dec 31, 2018 2:37 am

Modesto is in farm country(San Joaquin Valley )station is on the eastern edge of the city, nothing close by according to Bing's Map.
might have a snack bar in the station bldg.

This station was built with CHSR in mind for the near future.
Backshophoss

Postby Rail Boy » Fri Jan 04, 2019 10:38 pm

Ahhh OK, thanks. I guess we'll be eating in the cafe car.
Rail Boy

Return to Amtrak