What is this "state of good repair"

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Tadman, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America

What is this "state of good repair"

Postby train2 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:08 am

Over on Trainorders a poster named Gene Poon always uses this catch phrase "state of good repair" when he is talking about something bad happening on Amtk. I missed out on the first reference to this way back when, so now no one explains its meaning they just babble about it. Was this some former/ex/prior CEO's phrase for some repair program? While I get Gene making a point about it not being in a state of good repair, I am just looking for context?
train2

Re: What is this "state of good repair"

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:37 am

maybe you should ask Gene Poon at Train odors
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:41 am

If he's not a dues-paying member, he cannot post; he can only read.

SOGR is a famous acronym by him. He uses it sarcastically to point out just the opposite of what SOGR means: State of Good Repair, which was a famous goal by Amtrak's former president, Joe Boardman.
Rockingham Racer

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Dec 10, 2018 2:54 pm

I thought it was David Gunn who originated the emphasis on SOGR, eliminating the foolish attempt at self sufficiency and focusing on the backlog of deferred maintenance. Of course this did not go over well with the politicians who favored self sufficiency and privatization as the flavor of the month.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:11 pm

Correct.
ExCon90

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:51 pm

Thanks for the correction!
Rockingham Racer

Postby Tadman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:46 pm

It was indeed Gunn who used that phrase to emphasize that cutting all kinds of maintenance spend to be “profitable” was foolish as it was so short sighted. It leads to failures and accidents which are costly both in terms of cleanup expenses and revenue dollars.
Tadman

Postby train2 » Thu Dec 13, 2018 11:01 am

Thanks, I wanted to know where the phrase originated and by whom.
train2

Postby Morning Zephyr » Sat Dec 15, 2018 8:23 pm

Big part of turning around the NYC subway from the late 1970s and 1980s, initially led by Chair Richard Ravitch and followed by Gunn and others like Bob Kiley, was a formal capital plan, and a term that could codify what maintenance should be. It's easy to describe the new stuff in a capital plan: kilometers of new tunnel, number of new cars. It's hard to measure and quantify maintenance. By creating the term "state of good repair," they gave maintenance a name and made it "a thing" rather than a concept - a "thing" in the sense that you either are or are not in a state of good repair, as defined.
Morning Zephyr

Postby JoeG » Tue Dec 18, 2018 12:32 am

one thing we can say about the State of Good Repair is that Amtrak doesn't have it! Gunn tried. Maybe Wick Moorman tried but he didn't have the job very long. Current management doesn't have much interest.
JoeG

Postby dowlingm » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:21 am

jonnhrr wrote:I thought it was David Gunn who originated the emphasis on SOGR, eliminating the foolish attempt at self sufficiency and focusing on the backlog of deferred maintenance. Of course this did not go over well with the politicians who favored self sufficiency and privatization as the flavor of the month.
Gunn brought this philosophy to Amtrak from Toronto having seen what not paying attention to whether your system is functional can end up doing:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1995_Ru ... nt#Inquest

The other problem with SOGR focus is that unless a lot of additional $ is forthcoming, there is no system expansion and thus no ribbons to cut
dowlingm

Return to Amtrak