Cardinal - confusing schedule

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Cardinal - confusing schedule

Postby CPSK » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:14 pm

Hi;
I was looking at the Cardinal schedule. First, the train runs only from Washington DC to Chicago, not from New York - due to ongoing trackwork at NYP.
So on the schedule, they show the connecting train to be #89 - the Palmetto. But what is confusing is that the timetable shows this train arriving at Baltimore Penn Station, and not at Washington DC, where the Cardinal departs.
The same is true for the reverse trip.
Does this mean that the train #89 does not stop at Washington? The passenger must get himself from Baltimore to Washington using MARC or other service?

Now, if I go to the NEC schedules, I see that train #89 does indeed run to Washington.

What's the deal?

CP
CPSK

Re: Cardinal - confusing schedule

Postby andrewjw » Thu Nov 22, 2018 5:31 pm

They only show you the Baltimore time for the Palmetto because it is just telling you "you arrive (nb)/depart (sb) Baltimore at this time on the connecting train" and you make the change at Washington. They felt no need to show how long you have to make the change at Washington.
andrewjw

Postby jp1822 » Thu Nov 22, 2018 6:37 pm

Cardinal is once again originating and terminating at NYC's New York Penn Station.
jp1822

Postby jhdeasy » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:00 am

jp1822 wrote:Cardinal is once again originating and terminating at NYC's New York Penn Station.

Although Amtrak’s online reservation system is showing 50/51 as a thru train between NYP and CHI in both directions, the online PDF format timetables have not been updated and still show it as being a WAS - CHI train in both directions.
jhdeasy

Return to Amtrak