Usage of new diners - split from v2 thread

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Usage of new diners - split from v2 thread

Postby superstar » Sat Nov 17, 2018 10:58 pm

There was a rumor going around a couple months ago that there was going to be a hot breakfast option. I'm disappointed it never came to fruition because I think the single breakfast option is the biggest weakness of the service.
superstar

Postby FatNoah » Mon Nov 19, 2018 11:05 am

I'd like to imagine this is a bit of what the Pacific Parlour car was like

I only experienced the Parlour once, and I was the ONLY passenger in it for about two hours.
FatNoah

Postby eolesen » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:24 pm

Under union workrules, can Amtrak even have the diners assigned to other trains and open for use without a food service worker present?

I get that people don't want to see new cars sitting in a yard, but that cost of ownership is money already spent. You're not saving any money by using them. If anything, you're probably wasting it.

In the yard, they're not breaking down requiring service, they don't need to be cleaned, and they aren't causing incremental fuel burn.

Putting them into service on a state service elsewhere simply means they're not available to swap into service when they're needed for another car that's out of service, and they're now a new type of car that the mechanical guys will have to deal with and won't necessarily have the parts to repair with if something does break... Sure, there's commonality with the other VL2's, but not necessarily with the interior fittings, and those are the things that will break if they're opened to the public.
eolesen

Postby jp1822 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:15 pm

eolesen wrote:Under union workrules, can Amtrak even have the diners assigned to other trains and open for use without a food service worker present?

I get that people don't want to see new cars sitting in a yard, but that cost of ownership is money already spent. You're not saving any money by using them. If anything, you're probably wasting it.

In the yard, they're not breaking down requiring service, they don't need to be cleaned, and they aren't causing incremental fuel burn.

Putting them into service on a state service elsewhere simply means they're not available to swap into service when they're needed for another car that's out of service, and they're now a new type of car that the mechanical guys will have to deal with and won't necessarily have the parts to repair with if something does break... Sure, there's commonality with the other VL2's, but not necessarily with the interior fittings, and those are the things that will break if they're opened to the public.

Amtrak stored Amfleets and other cars that I won't even mention, and it took stimulus money and other funds to get them back into working order, while other cars put to storage in "new" condition were scrapped. There's an inherent cost to store or keep them inactive as well. Amtrak has 14 potential Viewliner II Diners to swap into service where only 11 are required for service (8 if you want to consider Viewliner Diners with operational kitchens).
jp1822

Previous

Return to Amtrak