High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby Ken W2KB » Tue Nov 06, 2018 4:10 pm

mtuandrew wrote:Amazon fulfillment centers are great, but how much traffic goes between them? Of that, how much is time-sensitive and also delay-insensitive? Amazon can predict when I-95 gets snarled, but it can’t predict a downed catenary or a medical emergency that shuts down a two-track main.


To my knowledge Amazon now has 9 fulfillment centers here in New Jersey alone. The company is moving to same day delivery by having many of these, moving to fast rail likely would not improve delivery time. Their business model does not appear to include one huge warehouse per state size area which might be able to take advantage of rail shipments in some instances, but would impede same day or next day delivery on a cost-effective basis.
~Ken :: Fairmont ex-UP/MP C436 MT-14M1 ::
Black River Railroad Historical Trust :: [/url]
User avatar
Ken W2KB
 
Posts: 5717
Joined: Thu Mar 11, 2004 9:27 pm
Location: Lebanon Township, Hunterdon County, New Jersey & Tiverton, RI USA

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby STrRedWolf » Tue Nov 06, 2018 10:30 pm

Ken W2KB wrote:
mtuandrew wrote:Amazon fulfillment centers are great, but how much traffic goes between them? Of that, how much is time-sensitive and also delay-insensitive? Amazon can predict when I-95 gets snarled, but it can’t predict a downed catenary or a medical emergency that shuts down a two-track main.


To my knowledge Amazon now has 9 fulfillment centers here in New Jersey alone. The company is moving to same day delivery by having many of these, moving to fast rail likely would not improve delivery time. Their business model does not appear to include one huge warehouse per state size area which might be able to take advantage of rail shipments in some instances, but would impede same day or next day delivery on a cost-effective basis.


Fulfillment centers are stocked with most commonly sold items, and Amazon's got the CPU power to predict where it needs stock and when. Freight from a warehouse to the fulfillment centers would be in advance and with common-sold stock, plus some predictions. Outliying stock will still be trucked in for 2-day delivery. For instance, if I need a half-dozen MicroSD cards for a Raspberry Pi rack-mount rig at work, I can get them in 2 hours from the Baltimore centers. That stuff can be pre-stocked by train. But if I need an obscure mounting rig that's only in Montana, that's getting flown into BWI overnight, shipped to the center by truck, and then delivered to the office on day 2.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
User avatar
STrRedWolf
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:48 pm

Exactly, Amtrak or a private freight operator on the NEC couldn’t compete with that. There isn’t broad-base high speed rail with lots of capacity across the country, but there are highways and airports at every middling town where someone could have a dozen SD cards delivered.
User avatar
mtuandrew
 
Posts: 5129
Joined: Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:59 am
Location: the Manassas Gap Independent Line

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby Fishrrman » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:42 pm

"High speed" freight?
On the Northeast Corridor?

Never gonna happen...
Fishrrman
 
Posts: 68
Joined: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:29 pm

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby mmi16 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 9:10 am

mtuandrew wrote:The topic is High Speed Freight on the NEC, not Amtrak-Operated Freight. That could mean a Norfolk Southern single-stack intermodal - but it won’t touch triple digits in America. High doubles maybe, behind four-axle or steerable six-axle diesels.

Once Amtrak secured ownership of the NEC, their first order of business was to force ConRail to remove through freight traffic from the corridor.

To operate through freight Amtrak would have to do it during the Passenger 'off hours' - hours which are now available for MofW activity. Put through freight into the MofW's window and what do you have - a physical plant that is not be maintained to the level required for passenger operations.
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
User avatar
mmi16
 
Posts: 934
Joined: Fri Apr 15, 2005 5:18 pm
Location: USA

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:25 pm

mmi16 wrote:Once Amtrak secured ownership of the NEC, their first order of business was to force ConRail to remove through freight traffic from the corridor. To operate through freight Amtrak would have to do it during the Passenger 'off hours' - hours which are now available for MofW activity..

Then Ricky Gates was the final blow for through freight on the NEC, though some local, regional and terminal service (CSAO in Philadelphia and NJ for example, P&W from New England to Oak Point/Long Island and NS around Baltimore). (CSX between Long Island and Bronx has its own track on Hell Gate.) The longest NEC trains are the Conrail transfers between Oak Island and Metuchen, usually middays.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 5223
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby ryanov » Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:30 am

mtuandrew wrote:Amazon can predict when I-95 gets snarled, but it can’t predict a downed catenary or a medical emergency that shuts down a two-track main.

Someone could cause a five car accident right now. I would not be able to believe the highway is more reliable than the rails, given its thousands of unprofessional drivers. The only thing you could say about highway is is that you can usually get off of them. In a lot of areas, it won’t help you any though.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4799
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby RRspatch » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:14 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Then Ricky Gates was the final blow for through freight on the NEC, though some local, regional and terminal service (CSAO in Philadelphia and NJ for example, P&W from New England to Oak Point/Long Island and NS around Baltimore). (CSX between Long Island and Bronx has its own track on Hell Gate.) The longest NEC trains are the Conrail transfers between Oak Island and Metuchen, usually middays.


The heaviest freight by volume and distance is on the south end between Bay View Yard (Baltimore) and Davis interlocking (Newark, Delaware). Between Bay View and Perryville Norfolk Southern runs intermodal, general freight and coal to/from the port of Baltimore. Between Perryville and Davis NS runs general freight and grain to Delaware. There is simply no other way for NS service these two points without using the corridor. Further south CSXT runs coal loads/empties between Landover and Bowie to service the PEPCO power plants on the Popes Creek line south of Bowie. I don't see any of this freight leaving the corridor as there's no other alternative route for it.

Remembering my CETC days ...
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch
 
Posts: 203
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: High Speed Freight on the NEC.

Postby EuroStar » Mon Dec 17, 2018 8:55 am

The existing freight is not leaving the corridor any time soon, but it is being whittled down over time as facilities close. About the only user that is guaranteed to be there 100 years from now is the port of Baltimore. Some minor stuff like stone and construction materials will also stick around forever, but any manufacturer or coal power plant is not likely to be here in a few decades.

There is no point in trying to reinvent the wheel. The Europeans and the Japanese do not run meaningful freight on their high speed passenger lines, so why do we think that we can do it better than them here in America? I do not believe that the Chinese do it either, but many people in this country are reluctant to follow Chinese example. It might sound good on paper to run some freight to help pay for the infrastructure, but it does not work. If it ever gets attempted it will be just for political reasons, not sound economics. They could not do it well in the heydays of railroading in the US, why does anyone think that we can do it now given how far behind we are in the technology and infrastructure?
EuroStar
 
Posts: 576
Joined: Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:26 pm
Location: Middle of Nowhere

Previous

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 15 guests