Handbags Made From Acela Seats Anyone??

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Handbags Made From Acela Seats Anyone??

Postby CarterB » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:02 am

Amen!!!
Last edited by CarterB on Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby CarterB » Sun Oct 28, 2018 11:03 am

Uncle Cheapo wrote:Think of how many time that Acela handbag or wallet was farted on!

And some of those "stain spots" are suspicious!!
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:16 am

As a member of the target demographic I figure I should probably weigh in. :wink:

I really like the concept....but I'm just not a fan of the designs, honestly - especially the PUP monogram style branding. I feel like everyone would think those were my initials, or worse - that the tote bag is actually a dog carrier and I'm one of those ladies who carries her dog around in a handbag. :-)

As for cleanliness, I'm sure they've cut out and discarded the most "worn" parts of the seat leather and I would further guess that these bags are made mostly of the seatback leather as it would be the least worn part of the seat. Also, are we seriously talking about bacteria on bags exposed to the outside world? I can only imagine what disgustingness my current bag picks up on my daily MNR/subway commute, let alone when I'm out at restaurants or bars where there are no hooks for bags and my portable bag hanger doesn't fit. On those days I end up wiping my bag down with Clorox wipes the moment I get home. So, I'm not exactly worried about the former life of the leather of these Amtrak bags given the abuse a daily commuter bag takes.

When I read the "prices up to $750" part i nearly laughed myself off my chair because my PS1 wasn't much more than that, and it's actually pretty and has resale value. :wink: That said, the pricing I'm seeing on the current offerings is far more reasonable, especially given the conditions the bags were made under.

In the end, I MAY pick up the tote bag as a daily beater to help support their mission, but only if I can find a way to class up that god awful PUP monogram.
Jenny on a M2

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:26 am

Folks. They’ve already been dry cleaned and processed, so I don’t think bacteria or farts are a problem anymore :P https://peopleup.org/blogs/news/pup-x-a ... full-story They do say these are the first of several products, so we might see wallets or money clips down the line. (I bet they’d take suggestions if you said you might buy one.)

Jenny: yeah, I don’t even mind the monogram design, though I see why some would, but would definitely mind the insinuation that I’m hauling around a miniature schnauzer :-D The bags just aren’t that appealing to me - I’m not the handbag type, I don’t need to spend $75 on a ditty bag, and the backpack needs a trim color like silver, white, or black.
mtuandrew

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:47 pm

Andrew,

Yes!! I was thinking exactly the same thing about the backpack in that it really needs some piping around the edges. While I like your color suggestions, let me throw one more out there: the shade of blue that Amtrak uses for the Acela logo on the train sets. I think it would be a nice complementary color against the grey leather of the bag AND it also evokes the leather's source. Does that blue have an official name?

I still don't understand why they didn't just brand it with a tag that said either "PUP X Amtrak" or "PUP X Acela" (with the Amtrak or Acela logos of course) just like every other fashion collab piece I've ever owned before does. Not only would it have looked nicer than the monogram tag but it would have made for a fun conversation piece. :-)
Jenny on a M2

Previous

Return to Amtrak