Tale of two meal services

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Tale of two meal services

Postby Rockingham Racer » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:02 am

ryanov wrote:I recall having to defend wanting more than a single vegetarian choice on the train. Well, their vegan option (the only vegetarian option) is really not good (the quinoa salad that comes with it is decent) and they still manage to consistently run out of it. I guess that says something about the demand.

I'd say it says just as much about supply. There have been multiple reports of stock running out all over the place.
Rockingham Racer

Postby bretton88 » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:38 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:While possibly off topic here, regretably I must report that railroad Food & Beverage is also on the downgrade in Austria.

Now that I'm back in the barn Stateside, but I want to address here how much Food and Beverage on the OBB has been downgraded with the change of outside contractors that occurred this past April. Here is the new concern's website (enough of it is in English to make out heads or tails):

http://don.at/references/don-denrailjets-der-oebb

If of interest, their current menu is available from that site on a PDF file.

Traveling Vienna to Salzburg (my trips over there were all day trips from Salzburg; I'm too old to do the pack up and move on every day as I did during more youthful days) on RailJet, I ordered the Boiled Beef for Dinner. Promise I could have done nicely without. The previous concern, Do
& Co Henry, an outfit holding catering contracts worldwide, I thought served an excellent Veal Medalion plate. But I guess the OBB is taking lessons from Amtrak.

Here is that concern's site:

https://www.enjoyhenry.com/en/henry

Suffice to say, no mention of the contract with OBB they previously held.

That's too bad. Do&Co is actually one of the best catering companies worldwide. With US offices in LA, Chicago, and NYC, I'd love to see Amtrak utilize them, but I bet it won't happen.
bretton88

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Sep 07, 2018 3:30 pm

Mr. Bretton, even having been to Austria five times in as many years (much more for music than railfanning), I was unaware that Boiled Beef was some kind of national specialty. Here is the website for one of the top restaurants in Vienna, and look what appears on their menu:

https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-wien/cu ... -rote-bar/

The OBB varietal tasted like totally bland Pulled Pork. Somehow, but I have to wonder, such from that restaurant maybe had more flavor.

But "meanwhile back in the States", who knows what the food service will be on Auto-Train next February? I may not bother to find out.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby R30A » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:17 pm

My food on OBB was the best I have ever had on public transportation bar none. (Including Amtrak, Via, many european operators, BC Ferries, Alaska Marine Highway, and a number of airlines) It saddens me to hear of such a downgrade. (I'll have to investigate when I am back in Austria in December.)
R30A

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Sep 11, 2018 11:14 pm

JimBoylan

Postby Rockingham Racer » Wed Sep 12, 2018 5:39 am

And then there was American's Bistro concept back when. Didn't last too long. But I digress.
Rockingham Racer

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:19 am

JimBoylan wrote:According to this link, an airline seems to be copying Amtrak:

Interesting Mr. Boylan, I walked right by the MUC LH Business Class Lounge last month, and which is open to United BC passengers as well. But I already had my "comp Times" - both NY and Financial - from the hotel so there was no need to go there. Overseas flights on "foreign flagged" airlines are a "good hike", and there would be plenty of eats in flight (at some 4X the Coach fare, there'd BETTER be!!).

But all told EDDM/MUC is a very "refreshing" facility for one's arrival and departure - especially compared with "funny farm" ORD.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 12, 2018 7:44 am

R30A wrote:My food on OBB was the best I have ever had on public transportation bar none. (Including Amtrak, Via, many european operators, BC Ferries, Alaska Marine Highway, and a number of airlines) It saddens me to hear of such a downgrade. (I'll have to investigate when I am back in Austria in December.)

And I too was "shocked and disappointed" as the food and service by the former caterer, Do & Co Henry, was excellent.

I was returning to Salzburg from a day trip to Graz and deliberately routed my return by way of Semmering Pass and Vienna (Miedling; on the outskirts) just so I could have a good Dinner on board. Was THAT ever a disappointment, as in addition to the boiled whatever, they also had some creamed spinach which had the consistency of pea soup.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby ryanov » Wed Sep 12, 2018 2:54 pm

JimBoylan wrote:According to this link, an airline seems to be copying Amtrak: https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/news/lufthansa-will-now-give-you-a-packed-lunch/ar-BBMXptx?ocid=spartanntp
Not exactly -- they will provide some lounge food to go, for those with access to the lounge. I suspect they still have real meal service on board.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:59 pm

R30A wrote:
Gilbert B Norman wrote:Mr. Bretton, even having been to Austria five times in as many years (much more for music than railfanning), I was unaware that Boiled Beef was some kind of national specialty. Here is the website for one of the top restaurants in Vienna, and look what appears on their menu:https://www.sacher.com/en/hotel-wien/culinary-en-2/restaurant-rote-bar

My food on OBB was the best I have ever had on public transportation bar none. (Including Amtrak, Via, many european operators, BC Ferries, Alaska Marine Highway, and a number of airlines) It saddens me to hear of such a downgrade. (I'll have to investigate when I am back in Austria in December.)

Mr. R30A, don't forget the Staten Island Ferry too! Each of the ferries has a full service lunch counter. Decent for a 25 minute ride (and well priced by NY standards).
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Previous

Return to Amtrak