End of the Full Dome (Ocean View)

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: End of the Full Dome (Ocean View)

Postby BandA » Sat Oct 20, 2018 12:25 am

Is the glass tempered glass, safety glass, plexiglas or Lexan?
BandA

Postby Backshophoss » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:38 am

Ocean View is getting close to the final trip to Beech Grove on train 49,when does Ocean View make the last R/T to Montreal,and
back to Albany??
Backshophoss

Postby Dick H » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:24 am

https://www.amtrak.com/fall-travel-on-t ... t-dome-car

The above web page says November 2nd is the last day for the dome on the Adirondack.
Dick H

Postby dgvrengineer » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:16 pm

At least it's not on the current equipment sale list. Maybe there is hope for next years trips.
dgvrengineer

Postby mackdave » Thu Oct 25, 2018 4:04 pm

Took Amtrak 69 this am to ride the dome. I received a text message as I was leaving Penn Station that the dome is out of service. Found out on the train that it has flat wheels from being dragged in Montreal with the handbrake on. I suspect that will be the deathknell for it as it is only scheduled to run two more round trips.

Mackdave
mackdave

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:19 pm

mackdave wrote:Took Amtrak 69 this am to ride the dome. I received a text message as I was leaving Penn Station that the dome is out of service. Found out on the train that it has flat wheels from being dragged in Montreal with the handbrake on. I suspect that will be the deathknell for it as it is only scheduled to run two more round trips.

Mackdave

Rats, thanks for the heads up though! Was gonna do a weekend trip to Montreal but that fell through, and with the weekend storm might be just as well, but was thinking about a day trip up to one of the New York stops just to get aboard it. Might have to just wait to get on a dome on some tourist line somewhere!
Matt Johnson

Postby Dick H » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:49 pm

Delta Dick may call VIA RAIL and offer them a great bargain price for the Dome. No shipping charges.
Just turn or replace the wheels.
Dick H

Postby Leo_Ames » Fri Oct 26, 2018 3:56 am

Sad to hear that, was hoping to get out to Port Kent and see it go pass.
Leo_Ames

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:20 am

Sounds like I'm boned for my trip on 69 tomorrow, oh well, the weather's supposed to be crappy so I guess I'll be just as well with rain drops on an Amfleet window lol.
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:37 pm

I’ve suggested this before and I’m not quite sure about its practicality, but Ocean View seems like a prime candidate for a Friends of Amtrak, LLC. By that I mean a nonprofit equipment trust willing to maintain equipment in good working order for seasonal lease to Amtrak at a nominal cost. It would lease and take responsibility for specialty equipment like the Great Dome (plus any other domes it wished to acquire) as well as turnkey train sets made of semi-retired Amtrak equipment like A-2s. During the off-seasons, the Trust could solicit donations and lease equipment to tourist lines. It’s a way to get elder equipment out of Beech while still keeping it available for surges. Thoughts?
mtuandrew

Postby Amtrak706 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:40 pm

mtuandrew wrote:I’ve suggested this before and I’m not quite sure about its practicality, but Ocean View seems like a prime candidate for a Friends of Amtrak, LLC. By that I mean a nonprofit equipment trust willing to maintain equipment in good working order for seasonal lease to Amtrak at a nominal cost. It would lease and take responsibility for specialty equipment like the Great Dome (plus any other domes it wished to acquire) as well as turnkey train sets made of semi-retired Amtrak equipment like A-2s. During the off-seasons, the Trust could solicit donations and lease equipment to tourist lines. It’s a way to get elder equipment out of Beech while still keeping it available for surges. Thoughts?

Interesting idea but what semi retired equipment are you referring to as “A-2s”? If you mean Amfleet 2s, they are not even close to being retired yet.
Amtrak706

Postby mackdave » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:04 pm

Found out on today’s trip that the Great Dome had the bad wheels trued today and it will run tomorrow and finish the schedule.

Mackdave
Last edited by mackdave on Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mackdave

Postby NaugyRR » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:09 pm

Thanks for the heads up mackdave, now I can make sure I grab a seat once we get to Albany tomorrow
"That sapling that once grew just south of Wassaic may be long gone, and the Harlem Line’s appearance may have changed over the years, but for decades to come, I can count on it continuing to provide me with funny recollections"
NaugyRR

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:40 pm

Amtrak706 wrote:Interesting idea but what semi retired equipment are you referring to as “A-2s”? If you mean Amfleet 2s, they are not even close to being retired yet.

I do mean the Amfleet IIs, because this can’t happen yet without a lot of retired NEC-capable 125 mph-rated cars! That could be A-IIs, A-Is, and/or Horizons. The specialty cars would be the icing on top
mtuandrew

Postby jp1822 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:02 pm

mackdave wrote:Found out on today’s trip that the Great Dome had the bad wheels trued today and it will run tomorrow and finish the schedule.

Mackdave

MMC should have been able to do this pretty easily, especially if the car was already there. Not sure that it is normal to "set the handbrake" on this car alone.......
jp1822

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak