Why no car/room info in the Amtrak app?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Why no car/room info in the Amtrak app?

Postby rohr turbo » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:06 pm

I long ago stopped printing paper boarding passes, etc -- I use the iphone for all my travel reservations/docs.

Unless I've missed it, there is no way to see your car # or room # on the Amtrak app. Is this right?

Yesterday I took the CS in a roomette (nice trip). When I went to board, I simply approached the nearest open sleeper. The attendent scanned my phone/barcode and asked my name, then informed me, "You aren't on today's train." WHAT!?!

I'm somewhat Amtrak-savvy so I didn't panic; not sure what Grandma would do if told this.

Fortunately an attendent from another sleeper came down the platform and informed me I was in another car. All smooth from then.

Seems like a bad oversight in an otherwise decent app. Others have this problem?
rohr turbo

Re: Why no car/room info in the Amtrak app?

Postby WesternNation » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:12 am

As far as I am aware, your car and room should be listed on the eTicket that you should’ve gotten in an email.
WesternNation

Postby Mudvalve » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:57 am

I recently completed a trip on train 50(16) from Chicago to Washington. I used the app for my tickets and when you tap the barcode to make it expand, in small print is the car and room information. It's easy to overlook.
If you don't like the answers i'm giving you, don't ask the questions.
Mudvalve

Postby Tadman » Tue Aug 21, 2018 10:54 am

I will have to try that, I never noticed such in the expanded barcode. This was a problem I had a few months ago and asked here as well, and I was told the only way to fix was open the PDF ticket via gmail. Ooof, lot of steps. I hope to have this rectified soon.
Tadman

Postby rohr turbo » Tue Aug 21, 2018 12:25 pm

Aha! Thanks for the answer Mudvalve!
rohr turbo

Postby Mudvalve » Wed Aug 22, 2018 10:34 am

rohr turbo wrote:Aha! Thanks for the answer Mudvalve!

I am guessing that worked? If it did, you're welcomed. Took me a little bit to find that information myself.
If you don't like the answers i'm giving you, don't ask the questions.
Mudvalve

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:05 am

I think much of Amtrak's reasoning is that showing available rooms is that, away from this Forum, who cares?

Yes, I agree "it would be nice" if you the paying passenger could select your room at booking. True, you would have control over your room being "center car" (there are flamers out there who want to be over the wheels - one such was DPM), but in the case of booking a bedroom, you would have no control whether your room was forward riding or "Fireman's side" to ensure better views of "the action". One exception, if riding #5, Zephyr, I guess you would want Engineer side to view the ascent up the Front Range.

"Somehow, someway, someday", Amtrak will enable seat/room selection for all classes when booking. Other than their "Sub-Econo" where the Middle Seat of their choice awaits you, airlines offer it. Now if on their In-Flight Entertainment, airlines could offer more navigation information than at least United does, I'd enjoy the flight experience more.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby rohr turbo » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:21 pm

Please note, Mr. Norman, that I was not complaining about inability to select seat/room while booking (though that'd be nice.) I was surprised that the car/room info on my booked reservation was not obvious in the mobile app's 'boarding pass equivalent.' And apparently even some Amtrak personell are oblivious as to how to access this info. Fortunately Mudvalve showed us the trick.

Airlines always prominently show one's seat #, or queue #, and even updated gate info in their mobile apps.
rohr turbo

Return to Amtrak