Budd Amfleet I Replacement Discussion

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Budd Amfleet I Replacement Discussion

Postby tomj » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:28 pm

I would agree that it is time to get rid of the Amfleet cars if there weren't potential corridors like new ones in Ohio, the Northeast and Midwest that could be started or expanded. And its not like the Republicans will budget more than enough to replace the Amfleet cars, a small increase in fleet size would be a minor miracle knowing them. Trump might be convinced to go along with a larger car order, but given how the Democrats are treating the shutdown and how anti spending some Republicans are, a larger order is tall order.
tomj

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:56 pm

My understanding is despite any specific size quoted, the goal of Amtrak is really to setup a pipeline of 100-125 cars a year for 5 or more years. The idea being to give constant work for awhile, not just one big blip in orders.

If this does occur, then ideally states can add on in later years for more captive equipment, or Amtrak can expand the order down the road.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby east point » Tue Jan 22, 2019 6:49 pm

frequentflyer wrote:
Yes, most likely Siemens Vs coaches. At least Amtrak will have source of parts inventory to buy from, and design that has proven itself all over the world, rather than having to make parts themselves for a product that been out of production for decades.

There has been some push back from the committee that wrote many of the specifications. It appears there is a lack of spare parts mainly for the SC-44s from Siemens. Some can give the cite please?
east point

Postby gokeefe » Tue Jan 22, 2019 8:34 pm

benboston wrote:Honestly, I think that the order should be for at least double that. Multiple reasons, for one, there is even better economies of scale. Furthermore, this gives the ability to make much more frequent service throughout much more of the country. More frequent service means that more people use because of induced demand, a law of economics, which is the reason that when highways are widened traffic gets worse.

It is worth remembering that Amtrak is in fact going to see fleet expansion during to the higher number of Acela trainsets from the Avelia Liberty order. This will displace cars from certain routes and allow for increased frequencies on others.

I suspect there will soon be a time when the only NEC train terminating in Washington will be the Acela.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Jan 22, 2019 9:30 pm

Seen it's about time Siemens and Cummings start getting spare parts out to where the chargers are in service already.
We might start seeing Cummings Dealer service trucks showing up trackside! :wink:
That should include parts for the coaches/cab cars for Virgin trains and Caltrans.
Backshophoss

Previous

Return to Amtrak