PURCHASE ORDER For New Locomotives

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: PURCHASE ORDER For New Locomotives

Postby daybeers » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:13 am

So will this order just replace the engines used on LD trains, or will these cover extensions of the NERs and such?
daybeers

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:20 am

don't think they are being assigned to certain services, but long range planning is anything Amtrak operates as state sponsored to get state owned locomotives.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer. I am not a moderator.
DutchRailnut

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 10:07 am

I'm sure that the 75 Amtrak owned Charger Units, that will be assigned to the long distance trains and the Palmetto, will probably sneak up on state owned corridor trains, especially the Northeast Regionals that continue to Virginia. I'm sure that Amtrak will probably prefer that that doesn't happen. I'm also sure that Amtrak will by more state owned locomotives for state sponsored corridors in other states. The one that probably comes to mind is New York State. In fact, many of the current dual mode units sport the NY State paint scheme and I can imagine that Amtrak and NY State. I wouldn't be surprised if Amtrak maybe has a branding of Amtrak Northeast on their locomotives on state sponsored Northeast Regional trains, although Virginia is not in the Northeast. It might pay for the Chargers that operate on all state sponsored trains in the East to maybe have 'Amtrak East' branding. Trains like the Carolinian pass through multiple states outside of the Northeast.

For the sake of how the locomotives look, I think they look good. Most importantly, I hope that they perform well. I know that they have very good acceleration, unlike the Genesis units.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby John_Perkowski » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:58 am

As others have mentioned, these are the first purchase. I suspect they will buy more as the sets work out.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby njt/mnrrbuff » Tue Dec 25, 2018 12:21 pm

True and it's not like the Genesis Units are over 30 years old and it's possible that a number of them may soldier on for a few more years after the first batch of Amtrak owned Charger Units enter revenue service.

Anderson spoke about the possibility of running self propelled trainsets and they would be very good for routes like the Springfield Line and maybe even the Keystone Corridor.
njt/mnrrbuff

Postby dgvrengineer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:46 pm

Has anyone heard how the Chargers have been doing in the extreme cold and snow of the past week? I saw a photo of a P32 handling a Hiawatha substituting for a Charger in last weeks cold. I was wondering if the cold and snow was a problem for Chargers or just a one time maintenance issue.
dgvrengineer

Postby Rockingham Racer » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:20 pm

I would say that "no news, is good news".
Rockingham Racer

Postby eolesen » Sun Feb 10, 2019 6:50 pm

I don't think they're quite all-Chargers yet on the Hiawathas. They take the power that's available.
eolesen

Previous

Return to Amtrak