City of New Orleans truncated March 2018

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: City of New Orleans truncated March 2018

Postby east point » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:08 pm

mtuandrew wrote:[ Also, I wonder why there isn't going to be Thruway service Hammond - NOL, that seems obvious.

Probably servicing the train and turning it. NOL is scheduled to do major work servicing of the train set for its normal 22 hour layovers. Would expect Jackson would be most southern station for turning the CNO ?
east point

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:43 pm

east point wrote:Would expect Jackson would be most southern station for turning the CNO ?

You called it.

Service Alert and Notices

City of New Orleans

City of New Orleans Trains 58 and 59: Busing between Jackson and New Orleans

CN railway has closed the route used by the City of New Orleans due to flooding. Amtrak chartered buses are being provided between Jackson and New Orleans as substitute transportation for Trains 58 and 59. Normal train service will resume as soon as possible.

Passenger service will be provided bus service in both directions between Jackson, Hazlehurst, Brookhaven, McComb, Hammond and New Orleans. Passengers traveling north from New Orleans are asked to arrive at Union Passenger Terminal by 12:15 to board the buses.

We appreciate your patronage and apologize for any inconvenience. For schedules and information, visit Amtrak.com, use our free mobile apps, speak with station personnel or call 800-USA-RAIL (1-800-872-7245).

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak.
mtuandrew

Postby R&DB » Wed Mar 14, 2018 6:31 am

mtuandrew wrote:
east point wrote:
Would expect Jackson would be most southern station for turning the CNO ?

You called it.

No facilities at Hammond. Tiny station.
Unrelated: Andrew, Manassas end or valley end? I have family in Culpeper, so just interested as I'm familiar with area.
Harry
R&DB

Postby Tadman » Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:52 am

mtuandrew wrote:
R&DB wrote:I don't understand why CN can't / won't reroute the CofNO via Baton Rouge as they are obviously are doing with the rest their N-S traffic. Two trains a day makes a difference?

I wonder if it would mess up the Amtrak scheduling more than it already is. Also, I wonder why there isn't going to be Thruway service Hammond - NOL, that seems obvious.

Seems likely. If it's single track all the way and over capacity w/ CN detours, that spells disaster in my book. I mean that could add 4-6 hours to the schedule, which might really screw up crew requirements and make need for another consist if they can't turn in time.
Tadman

Postby Bob Roberts » Thu Mar 15, 2018 4:21 pm

Not sure if related but I have a northbound CNO ticket in mid April that today got rescheduled to 10:45am departure (previously 2pm IIRC) and a 6am (vs 9am) arrival in Chicago.

I love Chicago, but 6am is my least favorite time.
Bob Roberts

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:25 pm

Beginning to wonder if CN plans to abandon that bridge over the lake,just waiting for RUST to condemn the bridge structure.
Backshophoss

Postby Bob Roberts » Tue Apr 03, 2018 2:02 pm

Bob Roberts wrote:Not sure if related but I have a northbound CNO ticket in mid April that today got rescheduled to 10:45am departure (previously 2pm IIRC) and a 6am (vs 9am) arrival in Chicago.

I love Chicago, but 6am is my least favorite time.

And this morning Amtrak emailed to say the trip has returned back to its original schedule (despite the continued presence of service alerts saying otherwise on the website)
Bob Roberts

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Apr 03, 2018 4:45 pm

Bob Roberts wrote:Not sure if related but I have a northbound CNO ticket in mid April that today got rescheduled to 10:45am departure (previously 2pm IIRC) and a 6am (vs 9am) arrival in Chicago..

Mr. Roberts, enjoy your ride on IC#4, "The Louisiane" :P
Gilbert B Norman

Postby David Benton » Sat Mar 02, 2019 4:19 pm

The spillway is open again for a month ,and the CONO is truncated at Jackson.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby east point » Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:28 pm

Bridge does not have that much steel but the wood worms may get it! Bus substitution has a no no. Bus tried to burn up going from NOL to JAN.
east point

Postby GWoodle » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:14 pm

For a while I thought CoNO could be truncated around Cairo IL. Lots of water from both rivers. High water nearly everywhere near there.
Glenn Woodle
GWoodle

Postby John_Perkowski » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:39 pm

R&DB wrote:Tadman said:
You could either route over to Baton Rouge via CN, then into town via CN, UP, or KCS.

KCS won't work.

Indeed, KCS won’t work. It’s not a part of Amtrak from the May 1, 1971 Agreement. Amtrak would actually have to negotiate, and actually have to pay real money to a railroad for operations.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Previous

Return to Amtrak