Ever stop in Raton?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Ever stop in Raton?

Postby Tadman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:54 pm

Last week I posted a question about "would you take Thruway?".

I lean toward "no", but in order to get between Denver and KC, I'm going to try it. The 4 hour ride to Raton seems cool, and the 7 hour layover in Raton is interesting as well. I'm hoping there is a greasy spoon or coffee shop I can stay in. Then overnight to KC.
Tadman

Re: Ever stop in Raton?

Postby electricron » Thu Feb 08, 2018 7:58 pm

If you’re going to KC from Denver on Amtrak, why not ride the Zephyr to Omaha and ether rent a car or ride a bus from Omaha to KC?
electricron

Postby Tadman » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:28 pm

Amtrak gave me two options, DEN-RAT-KCY or DEN-GBB-KCY. Hard pass on the 5 hour layover in GBB for me. I had originally thought of going through Chicago, but when the fare calculator suggested a quick ride to Raton followed by overnight to KC, I jumped on it. I love mountains and Raton-Lawrence is new territory for me so I can put that on my map.
Tadman

Postby Tom coughlin » Thu Feb 08, 2018 8:59 pm

In September 2010, I rode the SW Chief’s Thruway connection from Denver to Raton. The Greyhound bus was clean and the driver courteous. The scenery was great. No. 3 was running late that day so I explored downtown Raton with two other passengers I met on the bus.

Tom Coughlin
Stow, MA
Tom coughlin

Postby David Benton » Fri Feb 09, 2018 12:58 am

You'll get to see the westbound SW go through too.
Don't know if your Google street view is on the same date( Aug 2015), But it shows the Greyhound pass at the Amtrak station in Raton.
(Most my travel is via google maps these days).
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Feb 09, 2018 3:20 am

Raton has a few restaurants,believe 1 is next to the station,the station is unstaffed during winter,staffed during "Boy Scout season"
as the transfer point to buses to the Scout Ranch. The"Downtown" is around the station and along I-25 and 2 US Highways.
May have a local history Museum. Does have a Visitor's Center.
Backshophoss

Postby Tadman » Sun Feb 11, 2018 10:46 am

Well I appreciate the info but I bailed hard on this one. I'm flying through KC. Given the recent weather and snow, I don't want to be at an unmanned and perhaps locked or unheated station for 7+ hours. Part of the rationale behind the trip was that I could sit on my laptop and catch up on work, but that's not going to happen if I'm freezing on a platform.

Thanks for all your thoughts, this trip will be revisited soon. I have been on 3/4 so many times Chicago-KC and never west of Lawrence, so perhaps this spring I can add that mileage. Raton Pass is a big goal of mine.
Tadman

Return to Amtrak