What was different about Pacific Parlor Cars?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: What was different about Pacific Parlor Cars?

Postby Matt Johnson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:30 am

markhb wrote:Are there any nicely-appointed single-level lounge cars in use on Amtrak? I don't mean the cafes or cafe/business class cars, but intentionally-designed lounge cars.

Unfortunately not. The Maine Eastern had a proper lounge car when I took it from Brunswick to Rockland in 2015. I hope that maybe the car is still active on the Morristown & Erie out of Whippany, as it's a very nice car!
Attachments
FB_IMG_1517675225883.jpg
FB_IMG_1517675221546.jpg
Matt Johnson

Re: What was different about Pacific Parlor Cars?

Postby jp1822 » Sat Feb 03, 2018 11:58 am

The Parlor Cars gave a touch of what the private rail car was like, with good seating for viewing, a little exclusivity (sleeping car passengers only), special programs (wine and cheese), and space to sit at a table to do work or enjoy a meal while looking out the wrap,around window....it was also an "extra" to have in the consist.

For now (and hopefully for the future with fingers crossed), the Superliner Sightseer will have to do. But the eastern long distance trains lack a decent lounge car completely......even though the scenery may not be as appealing - seen one pine tree you've seen them all, it does provide reprieve from coach/sleeper and the diner.

The Viewliner Diner is likely the closest the eastern single level long distance trains will get to a lounge/sightseer car. It works to a degree, but only occupied at chow time.....
jp1822

Previous

Return to Amtrak