Amtrak GOP Charter Train hits garbage/dumpster truck in VA

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Amtrak GOP Charter Train hits garbage/dumpster truck in

Postby daybeers » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:28 pm

MCL1981 wrote:I call BS on taking grade crossings to any more extremes. It's absurd. Everyone drives with ability to handle a red traffic light or stop sign all day long, every day. Every traffic light doesn't have 20 flashing warning lights, a loud bell, gates all over the place, and loud ass horn. If someone is stupid enough to run a red light, they pay the price for the accident they cause, and there is absolutely no question who's fault it is. There is no reason to make grade crossings more idiot proof than they already are. If someone is too stupid to handle it, it's just thinning of the herd in action.

Agreed!

Tadman wrote:MCL, that works until others get hurt. In the case of the Metro North Valhalla accident, seven people on the train were horrendously burned to death because some lady couldn't figure out how to stay off the tracks.

I agree that you can't make gates much more obvious, but you can make the punishments stiffer. Why is it one can lose their license after being caught drunk driving, which endangers others, but not for going around gates?

There was much more involved in the Valhalla accident than just the person driving the car. The bad design of the third rail, which came up and punctured the train, along with the bad visibility of the crossing, contributed to the vast amount of damage.
daybeers

Postby justalurker66 » Wed Feb 07, 2018 5:44 pm

Make the crossing protection work correctly.
justalurker66

Postby Tadman » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:04 pm

"Bad third rail design" is a crock of s***. That third rail caused no problems for 100 years until some lady stopped her car on the tracks in front of a fast train. If you drove your car onto the freeway and stopped in front of a bus, there is nobody to blame but the jackass who drove onto the freeway and stopped in front of a bus.

I could go on about the crossing design, etc... but the numbers prove my case. Millions of cars and passengers have passed over that crossing. Nobody was killed unless a driver fouled the tracks when warning devices were activated.

It is bloody time to stop blaming others and realize that fouling the crossing when warning devices are activated is an awful idea that often results in innocent people dying. How often do we have to go through this thought exercise?

But I'm glad they're closing the crossing. If people cant figure it out, shut it down.
Tadman

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Feb 07, 2018 6:23 pm

actually the mounting of third rail has changed and is questionable .
NYC third rail : http://www.shorpy.com/files/third_rail.jpg
MN third rail : https://www.railway-technology.com/wp-c ... terial.jpg
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Previous

Return to Amtrak