Talgo move

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Talgo move

Postby frequentflyer » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:50 pm

I hope the consist find its way to the paint booth and quick. So when does the 2nd set makes it way west and out of Beechgrove?

Good to see equipement used instead of gathering dust.
frequentflyer

Postby Tadman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 5:54 pm

bdawe wrote:Was that 90? They would have had to put a Santa-Fe ATS equipped locomotive on the head end to do that, no?

I might be wrong but I think you have to have a cab signal leader in ATS territory, bar none.
Tadman

Postby Backshophoss » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:10 pm

A good chunk of the fleet carry ATS shoes on the front truck,P42's and some P32BWH's that run on ex-ATSF rails on a regular basis.
The "Racetrack" is Cab Signalled.
Backshophoss

Postby DutchRailnut » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:29 am

Trains.com reports the Talgo will return to Beech Grove after testing at Pueblo. the testing has to do with crash of 501.
the train will go back into storage.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby Alcochaser » Fri Feb 02, 2018 10:26 am

DutchRailnut wrote:Trains.com reports the Talgo will return to Beech Grove after testing at Pueblo. the testing has to do with crash of 501.
the train will go back into storage.

Most likely, it will take the FRA a few months to approve the waiver anyway
Alcochaser

Postby east point » Fri Feb 02, 2018 2:25 pm

Backshophoss wrote:A good chunk of the fleet carry ATS shoes on the front truck,P42's and some P32BWH's that run on ex-ATSF rails on a regular basis.
The "Racetrack" is Cab Signalled.

Have never seen a P-42 with out the ATS shoe bracket. Close examination will reveal that it just takes a couple bolts to put the shoe on and then plug cable into an installed cannon plug. Then all it takes is throwing switch(s) in the cab of the loco.
east point

Postby DutchRailnut » Mon Feb 12, 2018 5:03 pm

so the Talgo is on its way back from TTC to Chicago and Beech grove for storage .
https://www.trainorders.com/discussion/ ... ?4,4485695
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby wigwagfan » Mon Mar 26, 2018 11:53 pm

electricron wrote:FYI, the last two train sets that have derailed belonged to Washington (the latest being the ex-Las Vegas train set).

The trainset that derailed on July 2, 2017 at Bridge 14, was an Oregon owned trainset.
The trainset that derailed on December 18, 2017 in Dupont was a Washington owned trainset.
wigwagfan

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:21 am

Backshophoss wrote: The "Racetrack" is Cab Signalled.
Having lived along such for now almost thirty nine years, I'm at a loss to know why the BNSF Aurora Sub is called "The Racetrack" by so many railfans. Max speed for passenger is 70, freight 50. Many a general freight not in a rush to get anywhere operate at 25 ("precision railroading" is on the BNSF as well). The only reason to call it such is the 14 mile tangent from Cicero to a "smidge" West of my house.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby vermontanan » Tue Mar 27, 2018 11:49 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:I'm at a loss to know why the BNSF Aurora Sub is called "The Racetrack" by so many railfans. Max speed for passenger is 70, freight 50. Many a general freight not in a rush to get anywhere operate at 25

One definition of "racetrack" at dictionary.com is "the course for any race."

Merriam-Webster defines a "race," in this context, as, "a competition between runners, horses, vehicles, boats, etc., to see which is the fastest in covering a set course."

"Fastest" is just relation to all the participants in the race, it need not be fast, i.e, a turtle "race." And another component of "race" not mentioned is that logically, the participants need to be going in the same direction. On a two-track railroad, regardless of how it is controlled (TWC or 2 MT CTC or whatever), it is possible to have two trains operating the same direction in the same area, resulting in a "race" of some kind. But these overall are rare, since most areas of 2 main tracks were designed to handle a traffic level so that trains in opposite directions could move without waiting for opposing movements.

But three main tracks (as is the case of the "Racetrack") opens up frequent opportunities for trains moving in the same direction and therefore "racing," while keeping another track always available for opposing movements.

--Mark Meyer
vermontanan

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 3:10 pm

OK Mr. Meyer, I see where you are coming from.

In support of your thought, over a 35 min walk (my house
to West Hinsdale and return), I first observed #5 (27) overtaking #1233, #6 (25), a WB general commodities, and then an EB Oil, running parallel with an EB Container. Six trains in 35 minutes.

Accordingly, I'll accept your definition of a "racetrack" even though the Aurora Sub is not a high speed road.

I'll bet railfans come here to "fan" it and just might conclude it is "overkill".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Tadman » Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:08 pm

A few years back, a former member here as well as former CTA motorman started holding annual holiday charter trips on the CTA known as the Snowflake Special. The trips would cover most lines and usually a few non-revenue tracks. The highlight was always racing a red line train southbound from Belmont to Fullerton. It's not REALLY a race. MAS is 55mph and the cab signal will dump the brakes if motorpersons go over 57 or so. But it's fun to have "a race" and everybody talks about it afterwards, as it's a lot more fun than stop-and-go following the markers of scheduled trains across the system.

I suspect the same holds true for BNSF fans. Further, it's a bit fun to be on a BNSF express to or from Lisle and zip past all the locals plodding through the inner stops. I did that a few times in 2014. It was a good laugh to me that I could take the same time from Lisle to downtown on an express as I could from Fullerton to the Loop on the L. Perhaps that was behind the naming.

Anyway, I digress. Back to Talgo news.
Tadman

Postby RRspatch » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:13 am

vermontanan wrote:
But three main tracks (as is the case of the "Racetrack") opens up frequent opportunities for trains moving in the same direction and therefore "racing," while keeping another track always available for opposing movements.

--Mark Meyer

Exactly. I had the "East End" job for 6 months back in 2000. There were many times I was able to run two freight trains side by side (especially on weekends) either westbound from Cicero or eastbound from Eola. There was also overtakes by express commuter trains overtaking locals which is why they are switches about every five miles. Yes, it was a fun job.

RRspatch (Amtrak/BNSF) now retired.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:37 am

How long a wait for the FRA to approve the Talgo waiver?
Both of those sets need to be the NW US now.
Backshophoss

Postby Alcochaser » Mon Apr 02, 2018 10:25 pm

Backshophoss wrote:How long a wait for the FRA to approve the Talgo waiver?
Both of those sets need to be the NW US now.

It takes them 5 to 6 months to get a decision sometimes.

Your government at work.
Alcochaser

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak