Talgo move

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Talgo move

Postby bretton88 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:12 pm

https://www.regulations.gov/contentStreamer?documentId=FRA-2018-0005-0001&attachmentNumber=1&contentType=pdf
They're going to the NW, per this document. This is probably testing that the FRA required before they could enter revenue service. As far as consist, they have a bistro car, but no table car or business class cars. Fortunately that is an easy conversion to make. It will be interesting to see how long they stay in the Red and White livery. Weirdly this memo is dated 2017, but you'll see the recieved stam is 2018, making me think the 2017 is a typo.
bretton88

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:24 pm

There are reports elsewhere that the Talgo move is now on Santa Fe rails.

Looks like Pueblo.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby dgvrengineer » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:58 pm

Talgo is going to Pueblo, then Washington, but do I read in the request that both sets are going to Washington or are they just requesting both sets be exempt?
dgvrengineer

Postby bretton88 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:51 pm

dgvrengineer wrote:Talgo is going to Pueblo, then Washington, but do I read in the request that both sets are going to Washington or are they just requesting both sets be exempt?

"In order to support the service in the Northwest, Amtrak desires to put these sets into service." So that sure sounds like revenue service on the Cascades.
bretton88

Postby JimBoylan » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:00 pm

Did 2 entire trainsets and 3 spare cars go West?
JimBoylan

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:08 pm

Figure they needed 1 set ASAP to replace the wrecked set,the other should move after set 1 makes it to the Coast(Emeryville or Seattle)
Backshophoss

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:10 pm

bretton88 wrote:As far as consist, they have a bistro car, but no table car or business class cars. Fortunately that is an easy conversion to make. It will be interesting to see how long they stay in the Red and White livery. .

Mr. Bretton, thank you for locating that Amtrak letter to the FRA. I would think safe assumption the waiver requested has been granted.

Further, I think first priority is getting that equipment into revenue service. The Badger Red livery still looks good - obviously they were secured while at BEE and maybe even inside.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby east point » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:24 pm

a slight possibility is that this set is considered different enough that it will need some quick tests at Pueblo ? That may be reason charger is going along with the consist ? Illinois has extra chargers as Washington state may not ?
east point

Postby bretton88 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:25 pm

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
bretton88 wrote:As far as consist, they have a bistro car, but no table car or business class cars. Fortunately that is an easy conversion to make. It will be interesting to see how long they stay in the Red and White livery. .

Mr. Bretton, thank you for locating that Amtrak letter to the FRA. I would think safe assumption the waiver requested has been granted.

Further, I think first priority is getting that equipment into revenue service. The Badger Red livery still looks good - obviously they were secured while at BEE and maybe even inside.

Per photos posted on another place, the inside still was wrapped, and Talgo was sending techs down monthly for maintenance, so they should be in like new condition still.
bretton88

Postby Tadman » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:46 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote: The Badger Red livery still looks good - obviously they were secured while at BEE and maybe even inside.

They look great, and both Oregon State U and Washington State U have red as their color. Plus Canada's flag is red. Is a repaint necessary? Perhaps not.

Recall the C&O thought they won favor by naming the carferries after state schools, and CSX/C&O/Pere Marquette colors are a tribute to University of Michigan. (fun fact, CSX "dark future" is a close continuation of Pere Marquette colors from 1947 - does this make the entire fleet a heritage fleet? Let that spin your head for a while...)
Tadman

Postby Alcochaser » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:01 pm

JimBoylan wrote:Did 2 entire trainsets and 3 spare cars go West?

No, there are still Talgos at the Grove.
Alcochaser

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:23 pm

Serious question: why didn't the RTL-III Turboliners have to go to Pueblo for testing? Or the Brightline trainsets for that matter? And why if they didn't would a slight variation of the Talgo trainsets already in service need to go to Pueblo for certification?
Matt Johnson

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:52 pm

Looks like they may have had that Talgo going every bit of the 90 mph authorized speed on the 'ol Santa Fe mainline! It'd be nice if PTC allows for some 90 mph running along the Cascades route and elsewhere, though I don't know if that's in the cards or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r9fUzRCcqA
Matt Johnson

Postby bdawe » Thu Feb 01, 2018 3:23 pm

Was that 90? They would have had to put a Santa-Fe ATS equipped locomotive on the head end to do that, no?

With respect to 90 mph in the Cascades, I believe that BNSF have signaled openness to that, but have said that they will not accept any higher speeds on their tracks

EDIT: Went out and got my stopwatch and...while that's not especially accurate, I did get 91 mph
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby Matt Johnson » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:03 pm

I'm glad to see these trains finally finding a use on the corridor where they make the most sense, though I'm sorry it apparently took a tragedy to hasten the move. It looks like acquiring these sets will include also acquiring two spare coaches (one appears to be a cafe) and a spare cab car.

http://www.railpictures.net/photo/589321/
Matt Johnson

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak