Talgo move

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Talgo move

Postby Alcochaser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:44 pm

I will link in the pictures later. But a long parked Wisc talgo set was pulled out of Amtrak Beech Grove and taken north to Chicago.

Leader was Amtk 35
Alcochaser

Re: Talgo move

Postby Alcochaser » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:17 pm

Alcochaser

Postby electricron » Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:27 pm

I wonder where it is heading? Seattle? ;)
electricron

Postby Matt Johnson » Tue Jan 30, 2018 10:44 pm

Very coincidental timing if it's ultimately headed anywhere other than the Cascades Corridor.
Matt Johnson

Postby Alcochaser » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:34 am

Someone mentioned that since they have sat so long, they have to go to Pueblo for re-certification. Not sure where ultimately they are going.
Alcochaser

Postby EuroStar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 10:57 am

Alcochaser wrote:Someone mentioned that since they have sat so long, they have to go to Pueblo for re-certification. Not sure where ultimately they are going.

Excuse my ignorance, but re-certification for what? Aren't they practically copies of the other sets part for part? The stored sets definitely need to run though a major maintenance cycle before being put in service (if that is indeed the ultimate goal), but re-certification?
EuroStar

Postby Alcochaser » Wed Jan 31, 2018 1:22 pm

You got me, but Pueblo was mentioned as the destination. The train had to run as a "hospital" train move. IE they couldn't tack the cars to the Hoosier State.
I can't remember the last time Amtrak did this on the IND/CHI line to be honest, even more shocked CSXT allowed it.

It is possible they were never certified in the first place. Just built and shoved into the grove.
Alcochaser

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Jan 31, 2018 2:55 pm

Moments ago. The Talgo set went by here, MP 18.1, Westward being handled by two P-42's and an SC-44 Charger.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:44 pm

these Talgo's were never tested and with the addition of illinois Charger I would roughly guess Illinois is interested in putting these Talgo's in service.
If Conductors are in charge, why are they promoted to be Engineer???

Retired Triebfahrzeugführer
DutchRailnut

Postby EuroStar » Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:58 pm

Alcochaser, I am not disputing that the set might be heading to Pueblo. It is more that I am curious as to why.
Dutch, I am still unsure if that is the reason. Are these Talgos not the same part for part with the Cascades ones? Isn't the Illinois Charger the same as the Cascades Charger in the recent wreck? Why would they need more testing? Maybe they do, but I do not understand why.
EuroStar

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:14 pm

for example these Talgo's have a integrated cab car, the cascade units do not.

DutchRailnut

Postby NH2060 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:17 pm

DutchRailnut wrote:for example these Talgo's have a integrated cab car, the cascade units do not.

Oh yes they do ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bs66LONAnc
NH2060

Postby DutchRailnut » Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:18 pm

DutchRailnut

Postby electricron » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:23 pm

The Cascades have 7 Talgo train sets:
2 owned by Amtrak
3 owned by WDOT (including the ex-Las Vegas train set)
2 owned by ODOT
The two owned by Oregon are brand new and have integrated cabs.
The five owned by Amtrak and Washington require a second locomotive or "cabbage" car.
FYI, the last two train sets that have derailed belonged to Washington (the latest being the ex-Las Vegas train set).

Both brand new ex-Wisconsin train sets also have integrated cabs. They lack a bristo, dining, and two first class cars in the set, as the ex-Wisconsin sets were mostly coach cars excluding the two end cars. But it shouldn't be too difficult to change some into other car types. I just don't know how long it would take.
Illinois existing Lincoln service trains have food service cars. I'm not sure if they were all cafe, or business-cafe-lounge types. If the ex-Wisconsin sets end up on the Lincoln service trains, maybe converting one car into the set into a sit down bistro car would be possible. There are not high windows in any of the cars in the sets for standing up bar style counters.

The Lincoln services from Chicago to St. Louis require more than two train sets.
Last edited by electricron on Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
electricron

Postby Anthony » Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:27 pm

If Illinois gets these Talgos, and when they finally build the route, they should use these trains on the proposed Chicago-Rockford-Dubuque "Black Hawk" Much of the route in far Northwestern Illinois (specifically Jo Daviess county) is full of twists and turns, and because of that, these trains would be perfect for this route, as they could handle it better without having to slow down as much. If the route isn't up and running before the state gets the trains, they can use them on another state-supported route and then transfer them to the Black Hawk when the line is built.
Anthony

Next

Return to Amtrak