Amtrak has a no sharing policy on sleepers?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak has a no sharing policy on sleepers?

Postby JPoland » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:21 pm

So if I meet some hot babe in the club car I cant take her back to my roomette? (For some private conversation of course). Now theirs got to be a way of paying the upcharge but who is going to police this?
JPoland

Re: Amtrak has a no sharing policy on sleepers?

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:07 pm

JPoland wrote:So if I meet some hot babe in the club car I cant take her back to my roomette? (For some private conversation of course). Now theirs got to be a way of paying the upcharge but who is going to police this?

I don’t think any of us need to worry too much about meeting a hottie in the diner :P

But no, you can still invite anyone to share your sleeper berth; Amtrak just can’t arbitrarily assign someone to the cabin you purchased.
mtuandrew

Postby Arborwayfan » Mon Jan 29, 2018 4:03 pm

In fact someone could start a website or FB group or thread on this site to help people find roommates and split the roommette or room fare. Not in Amtrak's interest as long as the meals are included, but not against any rules. Amtrak just doesn't sell beds separately.

I have shared with a stranger. Not a romantic encounter, just the guy in the coach seat next to me on a Coast Starlight back in the days when they often had empty rooms to upgrade to (1997). We split the room.

Anyone else?
Arborwayfan

Postby Tadman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:53 pm

I am not aware of a firm no-sharing policy. The policy is that one cannot buy a ticket for a shared room with a stranger and automatically have a stranger assigned to the other bed in the cabin, thus avoiding paying a higher fare. But if one were to find a stranger and split the cost (even or otherwise) of the sleeper cabin, I don't know that they can stop you.
Tadman

Postby JPoland » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:02 pm

They have to put up with my snoring
JPoland

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:27 am

I did once reserve a Viewliner Roomette from Philadelphia, Pa. to Tampa, Fla. and later convinced my sister to join me at Baltimore, Md. and share the room. It's called a "conjunction ticket" in the travel industry, and requires the help of an Agent, Jullie can't do it.
Another time, a friend had a Northbound Auto Train reservation for auto and Roomette paid for months ahead of time. A day before his trip, I found I could join him, and had the Amtrak Agent get a Supervisor to find out how to sell me an open coach ticket on a sold out All Reserved train, so I could share that Roomette.
In both cases, the lowest possible Coach fare was charged, since the ticket was to be used in a sleeping room. I think this is still the policy.
JimBoylan

Postby Tadman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:57 pm

That begs the question: does it save money if two persons are going on a night train trip to make a reservation for one, including cabin, then go back and have an agent add the companion later at the lowest bucket possible? Or are sleeper fares always lowest bucket and the demand pricing built into the cabin? It's hard to tell because the ticket apps do not break it down.
Tadman

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:25 pm

Tadman wrote:Or are sleeper fares always lowest bucket and the demand pricing built into the cabin? It's hard to tell because the ticket apps do not break it down.
From my experiences, and poking around Amtrak.com, that is correct.
JimBoylan

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:05 pm

Yes, from my understanding from comments from many, including Amtrak employees, is it's always cheapest bucket and then the sleeper fare. And my own experience trying to price stuff bears this out.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Return to Amtrak