Sunset Limited

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Sunset Limited

Postby DanK » Sun Jan 28, 2018 5:50 pm

I plan on taking the Sunset Limited from New Orleans to Houston. Could someone with experience tell me how late the Sunset Limited runs. Just need to know how late to expect to arrive in Houston. Thanks!
DanK

Re: Sunset Limited

Postby bratkinson » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:16 pm

Here's a web site that reports connecting train history. But one of the clickable links at the top "Search Amtrak Data" appears to allow specific train and specific station historical reporting. I haven't tried it, so I can't say how good or bad it is.

https://juckins.net/amtrak_status/archive/html/connections.php
bratkinson

Postby DanK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:08 am

So I used the site and it told me that there was a usual delay of over an hour leaving NOLA. How is that possible to have that type of delay when the train arrives the night before and leaves the next morning. The only thing I could think of is freight trains holding Amtrak up. Does anyone know what causes a delay like this?
DanK

Postby electricron » Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:31 pm

DanK wrote:So I used the site and it told me that there was a usual delay of over an hour leaving NOLA. How is that possible to have that type of delay when the train arrives the night before and leaves the next morning. The only thing I could think of is freight trains holding Amtrak up. Does anyone know what causes a delay like this?

Trains that turn around using the same crews in the opposite direction usually have a minimum layover off duty. So a train arriving at its final destination hours late may be hours late on its next departure. Please note, I wrote "may" because if that station is a crew base an entire new crew may be used on the return trip. But that is one possible reason for the delay the next day, there are probably others just as valid.
electricron

Postby DanK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:34 pm

Well, using the track my train feature on the Amtrak site looks like the Sunset Limited will arrive in Houston (HOS) 36 minutes early. Nice to see an Amtrak train arrive early for once.
DanK

Postby DanK » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:35 pm

electricron wrote:
DanK wrote:So I used the site and it told me that there was a usual delay of over an hour leaving NOLA. How is that possible to have that type of delay when the train arrives the night before and leaves the next morning. The only thing I could think of is freight trains holding Amtrak up. Does anyone know what causes a delay like this?

Trains that turn around using the same crews in the opposite direction usually have a minimum layover off duty. So a train arriving at its final destination hours late may be hours late on its next departure. Please note, I wrote "may" because if that station is a crew base an entire new crew may be used on the return trip. But that is one possible reason for the delay the next day, there are probably others just as valid.

Thanks for the information!
DanK

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:55 pm

Host RR is UP for 95% of the route,BNSF 2.5% and Metrolink(SCAX) 2.5%, most of the route is UP's Southern Transconn,NOL to Sierra Blanca Tx
is part of that route,can suffer from congestion near Beaumont TX where KCS has trackage rights.
Backshophoss

Return to Amtrak