Europe moving to Amtrak "no-sharing" sleepers model

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Europe moving to Amtrak "no-sharing" sleepers model

Postby ExCon90 » Mon Jan 29, 2018 3:20 pm

andrewjw wrote:
electricron wrote:
JPoland wrote:So if I meet some hot chick in the club car I cant take her back to my roomette? Who would dare police this?

The car steward may inform the conductor, and the conductor has the authority to kick you off the train. There's a club car on a train for a reason, amongst many is socializing with other passengers.

Ha! I can't imagine this ever being enforced. Would they really rather two people start 'socializing' in the club car or restroom?

What's the saying-- "Get a room"?
ExCon90

Postby Tadman » Mon Jan 29, 2018 5:59 pm

Aw c'mon fellas. Have a sense of humor here. If sleeper passenger A meets coach passenger B in the lounge and they decide to spend the night together, romantic or otherwise, who the heck cares?

Keep in mind both have already paid the coach fare and sleeper passenger A has paid the sleeper fare. Amtrak is not coming up short on money.

And seriously, who knows what goes on behind closed doors? What sleeper passenger A meets coach passenger B and invites them back for a game of chess? Or perhaps to show them a bunch of train pictures? Are you seriously going to knock on the door, ask them what they're doing, get a straight answer, and then find some rule (that probably doesn't exist) to prohibit such?

The only thing the no-sharing policy says is that Amtrak will not help you save money by pairing you with a stranger in a sleeper. If you choose to do so on your own, (a) that person isn't a stranger anymore; (b) they probably don't care.
Tadman

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:00 pm

electricron wrote:
JPoland wrote:So if I meet some hot chick in the club car I cant take her back to my roomette? Who would dare police this?

The car steward may inform the conductor, and the conductor has the authority to kick you off the train. There's a club car on a train for a reason, amongst many is socializing with other passengers.

Based on what?

They've paid their fares. About the only issue I could see is they might try to object to meals in the dining car.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby andrewjw » Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:29 am

Greg Moore wrote:
electricron wrote:

Based on what?

They've paid their fares. About the only issue I could see is they might try to object to meals in the dining car.

Yeah, another thread confirms nobody would give a crap.
andrewjw

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:39 pm

All these questions--did no one see "North by Northwest"?
ExCon90

Postby Tadman » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:51 pm

Greg Moore wrote:
electricron wrote:

Based on what?

This is a good question. Everything I've heard/seen says that (a) meals come with sleeper; (b) sleeper fare consists of a sleeper upgrade fee plus coach fee for anybody in the sleeper. Given that the coach fee is already paid, isn't the meal paid for? And does that mean when I buy a bedroom for one, I'm theoretically paying for more than 1 meal because the sleeper charge is the same?

I seem to recall one of Julie's friends at 1-800-GO-AMTRAK telling me that if I needed to put my ticket and sleeper on expense account, I could call up and then have my then-wife added to my sleeper and she would only be charged the lowest coach bucket fare.
Tadman

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:12 pm

Tadman wrote:I could call up and then have my then-wife added to my sleeper and she would only be charged the lowest coach bucket fare.
That's how it has worked for me, although it usually requires a supervisor to operate the Amtrak computer properly.
JimBoylan

Postby Greg Moore » Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:28 pm

Yeah, in theory adding a person to a room at the last minute shouldn't "cost" anything from the Amtrak side of things. But on the same token, they stock meals for what they expect beforehand, not the changes as the last minute.

That said, 1 or 2 people per train, I can't see an issue. 30 people on a train.... might be an issue.

But my bigger point was that I could see a conductor objecting on the upgrade due to the meal issue, even though it's really not an issue as far as I can tell.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby USRailFan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:12 am

SouthernRailway wrote:Amtrak sleepers are first class, and at the price I pay for my trips on the Crescent, no way would I share with a stranger.

I think that having some budget-class sleeper on Amtrak that is shared would be fine to offer generally, but I wouldn't ever take it.

I thought that European trains have some non-shared rooms; I checked the Nightjet website, and Austrian railroads have sleeping cars with single compartments, and double/triple compartments where you share. As long as there's a single compartment, I'd be fine since that can't be shared.

Nightjet says that it separates men and women in shared rooms. That would be a total mess in the US: can you imagine the uproar if a governmental entity segregated people by gender? Here come the trial lawyers and LGBTQETC. groups and other assorted people with agendas.

Norwegian night trains used to book strangers (of the same sex) in compartments with each other on night trains. Ended about 15 years or so ago... I think it's still done in Sweden?
USRailFan

Postby gaspeamtrak » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:21 am

I prefer a room to my self because I "snore" :wink:
I also have a sleep apnea and use the "snore machine " as I call it! :-)
I'm not being "snobby" I just don't like sharing with strangers...
gaspeamtrak

Postby Tadman » Fri Feb 02, 2018 9:56 am

Sweden still has shared sleepers for strangers.
Tadman

Postby Arborwayfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:46 am

If Amtrak had shared bedrooms but assigned some to men and some to women, I doubt there would be much complaint. Unlike Jim Crow trains they really would be equal, and most passengers travelling alone would probably either not care or be relieved. The only outcry would be if there were no way for couples to be in the same room, which seems pretty unlikely given how common two-bed rooms are. If the government prevented any two people from choosing to share a two-person space, there would be complaints, and rightly, but for the government not to stick opposite sex strangers in the same little room would bother nobody.

The government operates any number of bathrooms, and a fair number of locker rooms and such like. No one bats an eye at men's and women's bathrooms and locker rooms except when someone tries to stop someone else who was born one sex but lives as another from using the facilities they feel safe and comfortable in. Government contractors operate chalets and bunkhouses on various public lands; I don't know if any of them have men's and women's bunkrooms but again I seriously doubt anyone would mind.
Arborwayfan

Postby Arborwayfan » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:51 am

More on topic: In 1997 I shared a room with a stranger in a non-romantic way: the guy in the next seat and I split upgrade to roomette on the Coast Starlight. We'd been chatting for a few stops already but that was really all we ever knew about each other. Anyone else ever have that happen: share a room with a stranger you just met as a way to save money?

Except for having a door it was not so different from the two times I shared a section with a stranger in old bedroom-section sleepers (I didn't count how many of each) from the 20s operating in Chile in the 90s. Well, I guess it felt a little more like sharing personal space, but seriously you are a lot closer to strangers in coach or on an airplane.
Arborwayfan

Postby ryanov » Mon Feb 05, 2018 6:02 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:That would be a total mess in the US: can you imagine the uproar if a governmental entity segregated people by gender? Here come the trial lawyers and LGBTQETC. groups and other assorted people with agendas.

No, I can't imagine the uproar -- you'd have to, given the number of things that currently are segregated by gender -- but that's pretty disrespectful to the people that you're haphazardly targeting.

I took a "shared sleeper" last year from Siracusa to Naples -- with the understanding that I might get some strangers in the room (there were 4 berths). No one else was assigned to it for the length of the trip.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
ryanov

Previous

Return to Amtrak