Amtrak Thruway to Columbus Ohio?

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak Thruway to Columbus Ohio?

Postby JPoland » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:08 pm

From Pittsburgh PA? Cant find this on the website
JPoland

Re: Amtrak Thruway to Columbus Ohio?

Postby Allouette » Fri Jan 12, 2018 1:42 pm

Thruway buses 8029/8030 are shown on both the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian timetables.
Allouette

Postby Philly Amtrak Fan » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:03 pm

Allouette wrote:Thruway buses 8029/8030 are shown on both the Capitol Limited and Pennsylvanian timetables.

https://www.amtrak.com/content/dam/proj ... 010818.pdf

And how useful are these?

Let's say you want to go from Columbus to either Philly or New York. You would leave Columbus at 12:55am, arrive in Pittsburgh at 4:20am and then wait until 7:30am for the Pennsylvanian. On the way back, you would then arrive into PGH at 7:59pm and then the Columbus bus doesn't leave until ... 3:40am! The layovers to/from the Capitol if you're going to DC aren't as bad (4:20am to 5:20am and 11:48pm to 3:40am!) Does Amtrak even have security people at those hours? Would you wait at Greyhound instead? I'm not sure either place is safe.

I would suggest Amtrak set up Columbus to Cincinnati or Cleveland but the train stops by those cities during the graveyard shift too. Indianapolis wouldn't make any sense because you'd be heading west to go west and the train leaves IND around 6am which means a bus would have to arrive there around 4am-5am which isn't safe and the train arrives into IND from CHI around midnight so a bus would have to leave after midnight. The only feasible Thruway bus out of Columbus would be a Columbus-Chicago one to go west of Chicago.
Philly Amtrak Fan

Postby JPoland » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:46 pm

This Bus seems to be replacement for the "National" which was discontinued in the 1970s
JPoland

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:43 pm

Mr. Philly Fan, the Amtrak Thruway 8029 is actually Greyhound 1689, which is scheduled to leave 340A. Therefore, the "Thruway" in this case is a regular Greyhound run that honors Amtrak tickets.

It is simply a case of this is when Greyhound choses to operate a bus to meet their needs. There is evidently insufficient demand for Amtrak to contract with a charter bus operator and operate a dedicated service coordinated with the arrival and departure of the trains at Pittsburgh.
Gilbert B Norman

Postby mtuandrew » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:39 pm

I wouldn’t mind dinner, a show, and closing down a bar in Pittsburgh while waiting eight hours for my 3:40 bus, as long as someone dragged me and my luggage aboard :-D Otherwise I’d be taking Megabus or one of their competitors, renting a car/driving my own, or flying.
mtuandrew

Postby Philly Amtrak Fan » Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:59 am

mtuandrew wrote:I wouldn’t mind dinner, a show, and closing down a bar in Pittsburgh while waiting eight hours for my 3:40 bus, as long as someone dragged me and my luggage aboard :-D Otherwise I’d be taking Megabus or one of their competitors, renting a car/driving my own, or flying.

Interesting that according to the Amtrak website that the Pittsburgh station is closed between 12:30am-4:30am but only on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings.
https://www.amtrak.com/stations/pgh.html

Since you are supposed to pick up the Columbus Thruway from the Pittsburgh Amtrak station what do they expect Columbus passengers to do on Tuesday and Wednesday mornings? Or where do they expect them to go when the bus drops them off at 4:20am when the Amtrak station is closed?
Philly Amtrak Fan

Postby JPoland » Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:50 am

The Greyhound Station is right next door to the PGh Amtrak Station
JPoland

Return to Amtrak