Amtrak & Rails with Trails

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Amtrak & Rails with Trails

Postby gokeefe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 1:07 pm

There are two big trends in railroad right of way use that currently appear to be converging. First the continued reactivation of certain rail segments for use in passenger service. Second the continued construction of more miles of rails with trails.

Some of these route segments have very little freight service and may not have seen scheduled passenger service in decades. These corridors may have already been converted to shared rights of way with an accompanying trail next to the rails.

It seems appropriate to open this topic for discussion as Amtrak's activity within these shared rights of way continues to increase. To begin, what are the places where Amtrak operates through a right of way that is shared with a trail?
gokeefe
gokeefe

Re: Amtrak & Rails with Trails

Postby Noel Weaver » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:05 pm

This might work with seasonal or tourist type railroads but I don't think it would work out too well on lines where Amtrak operates trains. I can't think of anywhere in the US where Amtrak currently shares a ROW with a trail. I don't favor trails on railroads, the trail people often want to take over and get rid of the trains, let them build their own ROW's. Freight railroads are not likely going to share their ROW's with trails or anything else and I think they would be foolish if they did. Wtih not many exceptions most lines that Amtrak operates trains over today have at least some freight operation or commuter operation. Trains and trails don't mix.

Noel Weaver

OH!! and a very MERRY CHRISTMAS to all on here who read this, nice in the mid to upper 70's here in Pompano Beach, Florida.
Noel Weaver

Postby Greg Moore » Mon Dec 25, 2017 8:23 pm

I'm not aware of any shared active rail/trail setups. I know this was discussed with the Purple Line a bit (trying to have both).

I LIKE the idea of rail to trail banking, but the reality is, in my experience and understanding, very few if any trails have been moved back to rails.

CT sort of did the right thing banking the Housatonic Line for future rail use (which did later happen.)
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby Palmer5RR » Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:28 pm

A bike rail-trail runs parallel to Amtrak (MassDOT) track for a couple of miles in Northampton, MA. The trail is heavily used with only a chain-link fence between the rail and the trail for half the distance. The same parallel arrangement could be used in many locations.
Palmer5RR

Postby gokeefe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:00 pm

This is also an example of a right of way (Conn River Line) that has been recently placed back in passenger service.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Return to Amtrak