Single-end stations at midpoints

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Single-end stations at midpoints

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:33 pm

ExCon90 wrote:I'm trying to remember (without looking it up) whether in the first days of Amtrak the National Limited operated through from New York to Kansas City; if it did, it undoubtedly backed into Union Station westbound, but as edbear points out it would have done that anyway if it terminated there. Presumably it also would have backed in eastbound.

The National did operate through NYP-KC (as of 4/29/73) and WAS-STL-KC as of 5/1/71.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Postby Morning Zephyr » Wed Nov 22, 2017 9:45 pm

The Amtrak San Francisco Zephyr used to be pulled backwards between Denver to Cheyenne. Then the downtown Cheyenne stop was abandoned in favor of Borie, which ended that practice.

I believe the National Ltd. consolidated the Penn Central route east of St Louis and the Mo Pac route west of there, and was a run-through train NYC-KC for its existence, backing into St Louis Union Station. The Inter-American originally originated and terminated at St Louis at its northern end (and went all the way to Laredo). The Eagle now runs-through St Louis on its way from Chicago to San Antonio, but the current St Louis station does not require a back-up move.
Morning Zephyr

Postby DougM60 » Thu Nov 23, 2017 10:28 am

I remember backing into Orlando on the way to Okeechobee on Amtrak's Silver Service.
DougM60

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:21 pm

Might Tampa be more on mark?
Gilbert B Norman

Postby STrRedWolf » Fri Nov 24, 2017 3:54 pm

If I remember correctly (and there's some Youtube video about it) you have to go in and then back out of Tampa.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby east point » Fri Nov 24, 2017 6:51 pm

DougM60 wrote:I remember backing into Orlando on the way to Okeechobee on Amtrak's Silver Service.

That may have been when SunRail was rebuilding the drawbridge of Lake Monroe - StJohns river. The Silver services had to detour from the Palatka route to the Wildwood route during the rebuild and may have backed (?) to Orlando. Unlikely but maybe ?
east point

Postby Return to Reading Company Olney Sta » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:12 am

STrRedWolf wrote:If I remember correctly (and there's some Youtube video about it) you have to go in and then back out of Tampa.

On both the northbound and southbound Star the train turns on the wye in Ybor City and backs the last few miles into Tampa. During the backing move it also crosses the TECO light rail/ trolley at grade.

Yes there is a video somewhere and also poster ChuchuBob has posted pictures elsewhere in the forum.
Return to Reading Company Olney Sta

Postby Dick H » Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 am

Video of Silver Star back up move. 3 minutes.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LC8eJuoOg1g
Dick H

Postby Allouette » Sat Nov 25, 2017 11:59 am

During the period that the Sunset operated east of New Orleans it backed into NOUPT and headed out, at least eastbound.
Allouette

Postby east point » Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:37 pm

Allouette wrote:During the period that the Sunset operated east of New Orleans it backed into NOUPT and headed out, at least eastbound.

All trains arriving NOL always back in except for a very few exceptions.
east point

Postby Tadman » Sat Nov 25, 2017 5:25 pm

east point wrote:
Allouette wrote:During the period that the Sunset operated east of New Orleans it backed into NOUPT and headed out, at least eastbound.

All trains arriving NOL always back in except for a very few exceptions.

After taking perhaps 10 trains into NOL, I would say we've backed in twice and departed back into the wye most times. Most trips were CONO, perhaps one or two via Crescent. What is nice is either way, the wye is close to the station and not up in the freight action, so it's a quick process either way.
Tadman

Postby gokeefe » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:07 pm

Portland Maine is now this kind of station. Amtrak does in fact reverse back out onto the main line in order to proceed northbound.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby talltim » Mon Nov 27, 2017 12:37 pm

Backing a loaded passenger train is not allowed in the UK. Nowadays, of course, there are very few loco hauled passenger trains and those that are still loco hauled tend be in fixed sets with a cab car on the other end. Other loco hauled trains, such as steam specials, usually have another loco on the back for insurance and any reversing moves.
One of the train I catch on my commute reverses, although not in a terminus station. 6 minutes are allowed in the timetable, but I’ve seen it done in about 3 minutes when the train is running late. Although I use it for commuting, it is actually a long distance train by UK distances.
Tim David
talltim

Postby CarterB » Mon Nov 27, 2017 2:47 pm

Part of Washington DC Union station is stub end tracks...(west tracks) IIRC...the Cardinal always backs into Union Station on way to/from NY/CHI.
Bring back the Slumbercoaches!!
CarterB

Postby mtuandrew » Mon Nov 27, 2017 3:11 pm

CarterB wrote:Part of Washington DC Union station is stub end tracks...(west tracks) IIRC...the Cardinal always backs into Union Station on way to/from NY/CHI.

That seems unusual, given that it should be a straight-through movement from Amtrak to CSX. A backing move would only be useful if the Capitol Limited originated in NYC (which it doesn’t and can’t.)

That said, it isn’t a midpoint but the City of New Orleans, the Illini/Saluki and sometimes the Cardinal back into/out of Chicago Union Station to access the St. Charles Air Line.
mtuandrew

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak