Single-end stations at midpoints

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Single-end stations at midpoints

Postby Tadman » Wed Dec 27, 2017 3:47 pm

San Antonio is an interesting case. When we approached on 21/421 last week, unbeknownst to me, UP routed us around town on a belt of some sort, effectively turning the train in preparation for tomorrow's 22. As I was in the 421 sleeper ticketed through to Tucson, I had to change seats in my cabin to avoid riding backward. I was only ever aware that the Canadian turned in Toronto this way.

And I decorated my roomette:
Tadman

Postby gokeefe » Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:53 pm

That is awesome. I hope the steward appreciated it.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:12 pm

Tadman wrote:And I decorated my roomette:

Love!

I was thinking of decorating my M8's row on the way home the Friday before Christmas but I didn't think the SRO passengers would have been too appreciative.

When MNR starts offering roomettes consider it holiday decor challenge accepted. :wink:
Jenny on a M2

Postby David Benton » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:30 am

Tadman wrote:San Antonio is an interesting case. When we approached on 21/421 last week, unbeknownst to me, UP routed us around town on a belt of some sort, effectively turning the train in preparation for tomorrow's 22. As I was in the 421 sleeper ticketed through to Tucson, I had to change seats in my cabin to avoid riding backward. I was only ever aware that the Canadian turned in Toronto this way.

And I decorated my roomette:

Nice .
I think that is the normal route in for the Eagle, some blogs I have read have locals confused by the roundabout route. They think they are 5 minutes away from the station in a straight line, then it is 30 minutes till they arrive.
Moderator worldwide railfan , Rail travel & trip reports
The only train trips I regret are the ones I didn't take.
David Benton

Postby Tadman » Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:54 am

gokeefe wrote:That is awesome. I hope the steward appreciated it.

Oh he went nuts. I got on in Fort Worth, and by the time we were 20 minutes out, he comes by to introduce himself and just loses it. He was very positive, I think it made his day. Quite a few people came by to tell me how much they liked it. The second steward (San Antonio to Tucson) was a fan, too.
Tadman

Previous

Return to Amtrak