Just for you meals

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman, gprimr1

Re: Just for you meals

Postby SouthernRailway » Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:52 pm

Now if Amtrak would only allow coach passengers to buy their meals online in advance, it'd make even more money.
SouthernRailway

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:08 pm

This makes me wonder about what trains could use it, where you order a meal about two hours before a station stop hovering around noon and 6pm, and you can get a decent local meal delivered. Hell, I'd like to order breakfast the night before boarding the Pennsylvanian at Pittsburgh and have some pancakes and sausage as soon as the staff checks tickets and ID's where folks are in the train.

Talk about getting deals with local restaurants, "buying local". That said, what good places would be where you would "order local for train delivery"?

• Pennsylvanian To Pittsburgh, Philadelphia 30th Street and Johnsonville. Returning to New York, lunch from Harrisburg.
  • Capitol Limited to Chicago looks like to be Martinsburg for dinner and Toledo for breakfast. Return to DC would be breakfast from Pittsburgh.
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
STrRedWolf

Postby jp1822 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 11:20 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:Now if Amtrak would only allow coach passengers to buy their meals online in advance, it'd make even more money.

I've been suggesting that for years, particularly as a way to eliminate the "wad of cash" that stewards carry around in the diner. Not only does it become a good cash control, it helps to do a one-stop shop when buying the ticket. Auto Train coach passengers have it built into the price of the ticket, just like sleeper class.
jp1822

Postby Rockingham Racer » Mon Nov 20, 2017 7:53 am

What happens, though, when a train goes into the dreaded "service disruption" mode after all the orders have been placed. That situation could develop into a money-loser for the food provider, I would think.
Rockingham Racer

Postby JimBoylan » Mon Nov 20, 2017 12:04 pm

The orders have to be given to the provider close enough to train time that if there is a "Service Disruption" in that interval, it will probably be practical to have a taxicab, station employee, or Smartphone car deliver to the delayed train.
JimBoylan

Postby Tadman » Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:28 pm

I don't know that the timing issue is true. For example, if Amtrak were to do a partnership with GrubHub for the 9am Wolverine, it could give the passengers a link to order lunch up to 90 days ahead through a microsite. The food choices would consist of perhaps four restaurants in Kalamazoo, maybe an Italian, Greek, Chinese, and Steak restaurant. Grubhub would then have access through Amtrak's API and get a ping when the train was 60 minutes away, signalling food providers to start making food, then another ping at 15 minutes, signalling food providers to leave for the station.
Tadman

Previous

Return to Amtrak