Dock Tower Closing

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Dock Tower Closing

Postby amtrakhogger » Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:43 pm

Dock Tower is scheduled to close as of 12:01 a.m. Saturday Nov. 11 with all functions transferred to Section B TD in NY. The end of an era.
His train? It's MY train! I know what I'm doing, do you?
User avatar
amtrakhogger
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby ryanov » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:19 pm

Is this what the "Amtrak Signal Work" this weekend that's slated to cause long delays is about?
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4795
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby RRspatch » Sat Nov 11, 2017 1:49 am

amtrakhogger wrote:Dock Tower is scheduled to close as of 12:01 a.m. Saturday Nov. 11 with all functions transferred to Section B TD in NY. The end of an era.


So I guess that's it for the towers on the NEC mainline. With Dock closing everything from CP Avenue to Tower 1 is now dispatcher/CTC controlled. In Washington K Tower will continue to control Washington Union Station. On the Harrisburg line that leaves Zoo, Overbrook, Paoli and Thorn. Already Cork and State have fallen to CETC so I guess the rest don't have long either.

I began my railroad career at Landover Tower in June of 1977. From there I qualified at Bowie, Grove, Gwynn, B&P Jct, Union Jct, Bay and Edgewood.

Yes, it is truly and end of an era.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby amtrakhogger » Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:57 am

ryanov wrote:Is this what the "Amtrak Signal Work" this weekend that's slated to cause long delays is about?


Yes, the cutover to Section B will take 2 days along with activation of some new signals.
Last edited by amtrakhogger on Sat Nov 11, 2017 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
His train? It's MY train! I know what I'm doing, do you?
User avatar
amtrakhogger
 
Posts: 1944
Joined: Sun Jun 25, 2006 12:16 am
Location: "F" on the Camden and Amboy

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby STrRedWolf » Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:43 am

RRspatch wrote:In Washington K Tower will continue to control Washington Union Station.


I doubt K Tower will get converted, as long as CSX trains connect there (read: MARC Camden/Brunswick lines). It would be nice, though, if they had better coordination once the lines get next to the NEC...
"The last and final stop is BALTIMORE PENN STATION." I can has MARC V?
User avatar
STrRedWolf
 
Posts: 1085
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 5:18 pm
Location: Baltimore, MD

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby CentralValleyRail » Mon Nov 13, 2017 5:08 am

Considering this was first brought up for closing in 2007 with a scheduled close in 2009 they really got a lot of extra mileage out of Dock. Will be missed indeed.
CentralValleyRail
 
Posts: 546
Joined: Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:51 pm
Location: Wayne, NJ NJTR-MP (20.8)

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby jonnhrr » Mon Nov 13, 2017 3:04 pm

Does Zoo still control any switches on the NEC or is it just the Harrisburg line related stuff?

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
User avatar
jonnhrr
 
Posts: 1113
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Sabattus ME USA

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby RRspatch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:21 am

jonnhrr wrote:Does Zoo still control any switches on the NEC or is it just the Harrisburg line related stuff?

Jon


Just the Harrisburg line. Everything on the NEC side is now run by CETC 6 I believe.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:59 am

Did they also remote the bridge controls? Or is there a bridge operator to open and close the movable span,as is done at North Station
in Boston(MBTA)
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 5596
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby OportRailfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:29 am

Backshophoss wrote:Did they also remote the bridge controls? Or is there a bridge operator to open and close the movable span,as is done at North Station
in Boston(MBTA)


Bridge operation will be 24 hours notice (as it currently is). They'll bring someone out to operate the bridge, as needed.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby OportRailfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:30 am

STrRedWolf wrote:
RRspatch wrote:In Washington K Tower will continue to control Washington Union Station.


I doubt K Tower will get converted, as long as CSX trains connect there (read: MARC Camden/Brunswick lines). It would be nice, though, if they had better coordination once the lines get next to the NEC...


You'd be surprised... it's on their radar for replacement. Think of HAM interlocking's guts (GRS NX), but on a much larger scale.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby OportRailfan » Tue Nov 14, 2017 9:40 am

Q is next on the chopping block.
Dock & Q: Last of a dying breed
User avatar
OportRailfan
 
Posts: 1825
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:43 pm
Location: MP29.7

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 12:22 pm

isnt K tower already like a little CTEC inside? Its all computer screens. I guess they need to replace the electronics downstairs. If they get rid of the tower and send the work to wilmington that isnt going to be a good idea. The operators/directors etc seeing the train movements in a busy location like that i think really helps. Same with Q tower. I understood that originally Q was supposed to go up next to R in the high speed building.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5849
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby RRspatch » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:54 pm

OportRailfan wrote:
STrRedWolf wrote:
RRspatch wrote:In Washington K Tower will continue to control Washington Union Station.


I doubt K Tower will get converted, as long as CSX trains connect there (read: MARC Camden/Brunswick lines). It would be nice, though, if they had better coordination once the lines get next to the NEC...


You'd be surprised... it's on their radar for replacement. Think of HAM interlocking's guts (GRS NX), but on a much larger scale.


I really can't see "K Tower" being cut over to CETC. Heck, It takes three people just to run the place as it is. Also you need to remember that it also controls switches and signals in Ivy City yard and engine terminal. I addition to working with CETC 1 (such as the did during my daze on CETC 1), they also have to work with two CSXT dispatchers as well as MARC and VRE. I just can't see one person doing all this ... and no, don't compare Union Station to PSNY or even South Station Boston as there's much more switching and power moves involved. As far as replacing K Tower, I'd figured that would involve a new tower being built as part of the Burnham Place development that will take place in the "air-rights" over Union Station.
Then it comes to be that the soothing light at the end of your tunnel
Is just a freight train coming your way

No leaf clover ~ Metallica.
RRspatch
 
Posts: 202
Joined: Mon Jun 14, 2004 4:22 am
Location: Fort Worth, Texas

Re: Dock Tower Closing

Postby Jishnu » Mon Nov 20, 2017 4:47 pm

If they can stuff all that is controlled by Section B into CETC, K Tower should just be a piece of cake :)
User avatar
Jishnu
 
Posts: 1834
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2004 1:48 pm
Location: At the Space Coast 20 miles from Kennedy Space Center

Next

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Flyer78 and 19 guests