NYP to WAS on LD trains

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby ryanov » Fri Nov 10, 2017 11:21 pm

I don't think that's true. I don't know if you couldn't book 90 before, but you can now, and it's an unpleasant experience.
|=| R. Novosielski |=|
User avatar
ryanov
 
Posts: 4739
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 2:19 am
Location: Newark, NJ

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby east point » Sat Nov 11, 2017 12:15 am

Speculation------- If Amtrak has a LD train booked full south of WASH then why not sell fill ins NYP - WASH ? Leave a few seats open in case of any WASH south cancellations. You can bet that happens around very high volume trains especially Thanksgiving and Christmas.. North bound sell the LD maybe 4-6 hours before expected departure time from WASH.
east point
 
Posts: 908
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:50 pm

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby CNJGeep » Sat Nov 11, 2017 7:48 am

ryanov wrote:I recently was booked on 90 from Wilmington to Newark, and I remember thinking "there was another regional after 188 that wasn't 66" and that the number was 198, but it never occurred to me that it could have been removed from the schedule. Let me tell you, that's not a positive change. 66 arrived before 90 did at Wilmington, and I got rebooked over the phone. We had a nice walk around downtown to kill the time, but I don't know that I'd plan on 90 again as an option.

If the train is delayed enough, they used to run an extra on 90's schedule for DC-NYP passengers with an enginer and 3-4 cars
"Nobody wins unless everybody wins."
CNJGeep
 
Posts: 1514
Joined: Tue Feb 22, 2005 4:33 pm
Location: A Small Onion

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:40 am

CNJGeep wrote:
ryanov wrote:I recently was booked on 90 from Wilmington to Newark, and I remember thinking "there was another regional after 188 that wasn't 66" and that the number was 198, but it never occurred to me that it could have been removed from the schedule. Let me tell you, that's not a positive change. 66 arrived before 90 did at Wilmington, and I got rebooked over the phone. We had a nice walk around downtown to kill the time, but I don't know that I'd plan on 90 again as an option.

If the train is delayed enough, they used to run an extra on 90's schedule for DC-NYP passengers with an enginer and 3-4 cars


They still do this but it has to be like 2 hours late before Alexandria for them to even consider it. Very rare anymore, esp since DC is short crews to run anything anyhow.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5751
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:41 am

mohawkrailfan wrote:People posting on this thread know the deal. But I feel bad for anyone who just books a train from WAS to NYP that looks as good as any other and then, on the day of travel, finds out it's the one that's four hours late every day.


Other than 90, they are not doing this with any of the other trains. 98,20,92,80 all WILL leave early from WAS if the train arrives on time. As soon as new engine is on, brake test and baggage work complete its shooting north. They do not sell tickets for these. 90 has tickets for sale since as i mentioned before, is a combined canceled regional train. (198)
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5751
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby mohawkrailfan » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:06 pm

Does the southbound Crescent always have assigned seating out of New York? I saw them boarding today and they must have spent 15 minutes on the platform slowly giving everyone a number.

One Amtrak employee watched and loudly blamed it on the decision to sell tickets to people only traveling as far as DC.
Make a little noise at the flag location.
User avatar
mohawkrailfan
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:13 am

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Thu Dec 28, 2017 6:53 pm

yes all of the long hauls have assigned seating in both directions. Why they are assigning DC travelers seats I do not know. they should just be putting them all in one car.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5751
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby Greg Moore » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:05 pm

mohawkrailfan wrote:Does the southbound Crescent always have assigned seating out of New York? I saw them boarding today and they must have spent 15 minutes on the platform slowly giving everyone a number.

One Amtrak employee watched and loudly blamed it on the decision to sell tickets to people only traveling as far as DC.


I've found it hit or miss. Sometimes they would simply assign me to a car for Atlanta.

Sometimes, a seat. The worst was the car attendant who freaked out when a few of us changed seats to check out the view on the other side of the train. Even after calmly explaining to her we'd move back w/o an issue, she practically screamed at us to get back in our seats and how now she had to redo all the seating arrangements and we were simply out to cause her problems.

Even after we all moved back she continued to berate us.

So... it's not just do to recent changes.
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore
 
Posts: 5112
Joined: Sat Mar 13, 2004 12:15 am

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby markhb » Sun Dec 31, 2017 1:22 am

ApproachMedium wrote:yes all of the long hauls have assigned seating in both directions. Why they are assigning DC travelers seats I do not know. they should just be putting them all in one car.

Maybe just out of NYP, or heading south from there? I ask because I've never been assigned a seat on 449/448 going to/from upstate NY.
"...And then I thought, every time some company creates a more powerful locomotive does Superman become more powerful as well or is he stuck at 1938 locomotive power levels?" - A friend of mine elsewhere
Anything I post here is mine alone and does not represent the views of my employer.
markhb
 
Posts: 1417
Joined: Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:42 pm
Location: Maine

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby ApproachMedium » Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:25 am

When i rode the lake shore 5 years ago they assigned seats, at least on the NY section. They probably assign them on the boston section between boston and chicago, or at least keep all of the albany to boston people in those couple cars, so they are less complicated. The auto train also assigns seats and cars as well.
No good deed goes unpunished.
User avatar
ApproachMedium
 
Posts: 5751
Joined: Wed May 31, 2006 9:44 pm
Location: From here to There

Re: NYP to WAS on LD trains

Postby mohawkrailfan » Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I've taken 49 out of NYP maybe 10 times in the last 5 years and only seen assigned seating once.
Make a little noise at the flag location.
User avatar
mohawkrailfan
 
Posts: 127
Joined: Fri Mar 07, 2014 8:13 am

Previous

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 16 guests