Changes at Elkhart IN

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Changes at Elkhart IN

Postby Alcochaser » Sun Oct 15, 2017 11:55 am

Due to some interlocking changes on the NS, and some track realignment.
Amtrak will no longer be able use the existing platform at Elkhart IN.
NS is building them a new concrete platform 20 yards south of the old one that will be connected by a walkway to the station.

Therefore, this is the LAST Amtrak train to use the old platform. Train 49-15.
(not my photo, justalurker66 gets the credit)
Alcochaser

Re: Changes at Elkhart IN

Postby Alcochaser » Sun Oct 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Alcochaser

Postby Tadman » Tue Oct 17, 2017 10:00 am

Looks like they added quite a lot of track, too. I grew up 30 minutes away in South Bend and was always a bit jealous that Elkhart had such a cool old station while we had that cinder block bunker on the crummy side of town. What's really surprising is that the NYC didn't straighten out the main when they built the yard around 1960. That's a heck of a curve just to the east.

I'm also surprised NS and Amtrak didn't put their heads together and come up with a better solution to the big picture. South Bend and Elkhart are really too close to both have stations. 16 miles. Given that Elkhart is much smaller and the station in South Bend is in a crummy neighborhood, a modest structure in Mishawaka between the two might have been best. But then, you also have that background noise about moving 29/30 and 48/49 to Michigan Central, at which point you'll have them using Niles, the third South Bend-area station. South Bend must be the only metro area below 1m people with three stations. Total boarding is 65,000 approx. 20k, 25k, and 20k for Elkhart, SB, Niles, respectively.
Tadman

Postby JimBoylan » Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:15 pm

The only reason that Elkhart station is but 16 miles from the South Bend stop is that Amtrak uses the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend RR's block house in Bendix, instead of the more distant New York Central station in downtown South Bend.
JimBoylan

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:32 am

Honesty, I think 16 miles is far enough apart to justify two stations. The ridership is there. Regardless, it would be nice if Amtrak and South Bend came up with some kind of strategic plan about abandoning that Bendix station in favor of the SBUS. I've taken trains out of both stations.
...they are solid plastic, so don't settle for imitation.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby Tadman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:29 am

JimBoylan wrote:The only reason that Elkhart station is but 16 miles from the South Bend stop is that Amtrak uses the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend RR's block house in Bendix, instead of the more distant New York Central station in downtown South Bend.

South Bend Union Station is actually closer to Elkhart by a mile or two. It's fully in use today as a data center and ballroom.

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Honesty, I think 16 miles is far enough apart to justify two stations. The ridership is there. Regardless, it would be nice if Amtrak and South Bend came up with some kind of strategic plan about abandoning that Bendix station in favor of the SBUS. I've taken trains out of both stations.

I think the ridership numbers are great. But imagine if all those riders were consolidated at one station, you'd have much less costs involved in baggage handling, maintenance, stop/start for fuel and brakes, etc... You also wouldn't be stopping passenger trains on a tight curve at the entrance to one of the country's biggest yards.
Tadman

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:47 am

Does the trackage remain and would the non-rail owners/lessees allow space for Amtrak and even South Shore?

https://www.southbendtribune.com/multim ... 2d1c3.html
Gilbert B Norman

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:15 pm

Tadman wrote:
JimBoylan wrote:The only reason that Elkhart station is but 16 miles from the South Bend stop is that Amtrak uses the Chicago, South Shore & South Bend RR's block house in Bendix, instead of the more distant New York Central station in downtown South Bend.

South Bend Union Station is actually closer to Elkhart by a mile or two. It's fully in use today as a data center and ballroom.

Roadgeek Adam wrote:Honesty, I think 16 miles is far enough apart to justify two stations. The ridership is there. Regardless, it would be nice if Amtrak and South Bend came up with some kind of strategic plan about abandoning that Bendix station in favor of the SBUS. I've taken trains out of both stations.

I think the ridership numbers are great. But imagine if all those riders were consolidated at one station, you'd have much less costs involved in baggage handling, maintenance, stop/start for fuel and brakes, etc... You also wouldn't be stopping passenger trains on a tight curve at the entrance to one of the country's biggest yards.

Yes, but by having 2 stations, you can reach out to a larger ridership base. Now everyone in Elkhart has to drive 16 miles to South Bend just to get the train, rather than a walk-up station in downtown. By removing a station, you may hurt your ridership base more.

As for the status of SBUS, there's 5 tracks and an abandoned platform behind the depot.
Roadgeek Adam

Postby Kilo Echo » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:42 pm

Alcochaser wrote:NS is building them a new concrete platform 20 yards south of the old one that will be connected by a walkway to the station.

Will it be a high-level platform?
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo

Postby electricron » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:52 pm

Kilo Echo wrote:
Alcochaser wrote:NS is building them a new concrete platform 20 yards south of the old one that will be connected by a walkway to the station.

Will it be a high-level platform?

Why? Superliners on the Capitol Limited stop at this station, they can’t use a high platform.
electricron

Postby Alcochaser » Wed Oct 18, 2017 7:05 pm

SBUS ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

When Conrail replaced BEND tower, they deeded the tracks by the station to the GTW/CN. The mains farther away from the station are the NS. To get over there you would ether need to restore the under track walkway (expensive) or install a new CTC connection on the east end from the GTW to the NS (expensive and CN and NS probably wouldn't go for it)

The Bendix blockhouse just needs to be replaced with a new building, the platforms are big long and nice, and on both sides
Alcochaser

Postby Roadgeek Adam » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:17 pm

Alcochaser wrote:SBUS ISN'T GOING TO HAPPEN.

When Conrail replaced BEND tower, they deeded the tracks by the station to the GTW/CN. The mains farther away from the station are the NS. To get over there you would ether need to restore the under track walkway (expensive) or install a new CTC connection on the east end from the GTW to the NS (expensive and CN and NS probably wouldn't go for it)

The Bendix blockhouse just needs to be replaced with a new building, the platforms are big long and nice, and on both sides

Devil's advocate: Even if you don't move to SBUS, it would be nice to see the station moved closer to downtown in some fashion.
Roadgeek Adam

Return to Amtrak