Amtrak.com relaunch

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak.com relaunch

Postby Tadman » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:49 am

On a related note, the new mobile app for iPhone does not display a ticket holder's room/car assignment. I boarded the Builder last week at Chicago and the staff were a bit puzzled as to where I should go since my ticket (on screen) didn't have a room or car.
Tadman

Postby STrRedWolf » Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:39 pm

The funny thing is, the website is much more mobile friendly than the filtered site they try to foist you on after asking about the app... and while the app is a bit slicker, they still need to put the Track-a-train map in it.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby hs3730 » Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:36 pm

As long as we're talking the mobile app, anyone else experience it not populating with trips booked from the website? The old app would get website or telephone-booked trips automatically but this new one I've had to search the reservation # every time to get those to show up. And even then sometimes one would disappear.
hs3730

Postby deathtopumpkins » Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:57 am

^ That's always been the case for me, for years now. I think only once or twice has a trip I booked online actually showed up in the app without me having to search for it every time. Makes the app kinda useless, because then it's easier to pull up the PDF they email you.
Call me Connor or DTP

Railfan & Roadgeek from the North Shore of Mass.
deathtopumpkins

Postby Tadman » Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:34 am

Agreed. I cannot understand why some of the tickets I buy in the app don't show up on the website, and some of the tickets I buy on the website do not show up in the app. I had a panic attack last night as I thought I bought the last roomette on the City for a certain date, but then couldn't find my passenger record. I opened the app, and there it is, no problem. Luckily it seems the conductor interface is much more comprehensive and they can find stuff like that, as well as room numbers.
Tadman

Postby diburning » Mon Dec 25, 2017 3:17 am

Is there any contact info for web support? The site is quoting 10,998 points for an Acela Express first class ticket, but it never books. When I call AGR, I'm quoted a higher points price. When I tell them that the website is showing 10,998, they tell me that it's a website issue and that I should speak to Amtrak. They transferred me to Amtrak, where they told me that if it's a points issue, I need to be speaking to AGR and transferred me back. This is ridiculous! If this were an airline, I could complain to the DOT about them not honoring a displayed fare, but with Amtrak being an autonomous quasi-government entity, they pretty much self regulate, and it doesn't looks like the FRA/DOT handles consumer complaints regarding Amtrak.
diburning

Postby gokeefe » Mon Dec 25, 2017 10:19 am

I would encourage you to write Amtrak Customer Service using much the same phrasing as you just did.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby SouthernRailway » Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:28 pm

On the train status section of the Amtrak.com mobile website, you can see only arrival (not departure) times for stations, even if you scroll to "departure". Minor, but a glitch.

I also find it odd that the photo on this page shows at least one non-Amtrak car (look at the window band, which is a non-Amtrak paint scheme) behind the sleeping car, plus some really dinky track:

https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/onboard- ... droom.html

Isn't that like having an ad for a BMW also include a Pontiac, and a road with a bunch of potholes?
SouthernRailway

Postby Backshophoss » Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:43 pm

Had a pair of private cars tacked on that View I sleeper,"no biggie".
Backshophoss

Postby CLamb » Tue Dec 26, 2017 1:35 am

diburning wrote:Is there any contact info for web support?

The Internet has a service called WHOIS which will tell you about any domain name. Here is a link which uses the ICANN website to look up the Amtrak.com domain. https://whois.icann.org/en/lookup?name=amtrak.com It gives the contact information for the domain name.
CLamb

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Dec 26, 2017 2:50 pm

SouthernRailway wrote:https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/onboard-accommodations-for-all-your-needs/sleeping-accommodations/viewliner-accessible-bedroom.html

Isn't that like having an ad for a BMW also include a Pontiac, and a road with a bunch of potholes?

What I find a little irritating about that is that surely the private cars and the grassy siding could easily have been photoshopped out, but apparently nobody either thought of doing it or thought it was important.
ExCon90

Postby SouthernRailway » Tue Dec 26, 2017 3:06 pm

ExCon90 wrote:
SouthernRailway wrote:https://www.amtrak.com/onboard/onboard-accommodations-for-all-your-needs/sleeping-accommodations/viewliner-accessible-bedroom.html

What I find a little irritating about that is that surely the private cars and the grassy siding could easily have been photoshopped out, but apparently nobody either thought of doing it or thought it was important.

Good point. Amtrak could have gotten a better picture (without non-Amtrak cars or dinky track) from Google Images or the Wikipedia article about Viewliners, too.
SouthernRailway

Postby gokeefe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:11 pm

Kind of looks peaceful to me. Nobody is going to think much of a Class I main line with welded rail and six foot deep gravel ballast.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby mtuandrew » Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:47 pm

gokeefe wrote:Kind of looks peaceful to me. Nobody is going to think much of a Class I main line with welded rail and six foot deep gravel ballast.

I’d rather have the immaculate FRA Class V mainline with deep ballast than a siding apparently from 1955. :P
mtuandrew

Postby gokeefe » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:24 pm

As I'm sure we all would, myself included. The general audience at Amtrak.com is a different matter.
gokeefe
gokeefe

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak