Amtrak.com relaunch

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Amtrak.com relaunch

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Tue Oct 10, 2017 10:01 pm

Just went on the new redesigned Amtrak.com, however many links are broken or missing and the pages are still an "incomplete shell" in many cases. However all the PDF timetables are online and accessible.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
R36 Combine Coach

Re: Amtrak.com relaunch

Postby John_Perkowski » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:52 am

You nailed a pet peeve, deploying a site without checking all the links.
~John Perkowski: Moderator: General Discussion: Locomotives, Rolling Stock, and Equipment
Assistant Administrator: Railroad.net/forums
Please don't feed the spammers! If you see spam, please notify a Moderator
John_Perkowski

Postby JamesRR » Wed Oct 11, 2017 9:09 am

R36 Combine Coach wrote:Just went on the new redesigned Amtrak.com, however many links are broken or missing and the pages are still an "incomplete shell" in many cases. However all the PDF timetables are online and accessible.

Broken - just like their infrastructure. :-)
JamesRR

Postby R&DB » Wed Oct 11, 2017 5:36 pm

Can't get bookings, prices, optional routes. Sort of like the Obamacare website roll-out. Obviously not tested before published. On top of that, AmSnag can't access the database.
I'm getting ready to book a NJ-CA round trip in March 2018 and this is just frustrating. The old site worked fine.
Harry
R&DB

Postby STrRedWolf » Wed Oct 11, 2017 6:53 pm

Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

But poking around, they're getting more stuff wired in. Apparently nothing got QA'ed and they all went live. I won't be surprised if some manager bumped the switch.
I ride the (MTA Maryland) Penn Line (between Odenton and Baltimore). I used to work for MTA Maryland's IT department, and out of professional courtesy my responses may be limited. Wikimapia is wonderful (for track/interlocking locations)!
STrRedWolf

Postby mohawkrailfan » Wed Oct 18, 2017 8:04 am

I can't see any way to sort itineraries by price! There is a "sort and filter" button which takes me to a list of dropdowns. There is a Price dropdown under which the options are "All Day", "Morning", "Afternoon" and "Evening". Those are not prices.
Make a little noise at the flag location.
mohawkrailfan

Postby mmi16 » Wed Oct 18, 2017 9:22 am

STrRedWolf wrote:Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

But poking around, they're getting more stuff wired in. Apparently nothing got QA'ed and they all went live. I won't be surprised if some manager bumped the switch.

More likely there was a 'Due Date' for the implementation and no matter if the product was ready or not, it was being launched on the Due Date!
Never too old to have a happy childhood!
mmi16

Postby scratchy » Wed Oct 18, 2017 11:29 am

STrRedWolf wrote:Oh FFS, what is with sites that think adding padding makes for a better site. It just makes the website look FAT.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tefHYLCEbAA comes to mind
scratchy

Postby jonnhrr » Wed Oct 18, 2017 12:39 pm

mmi16 wrote:

More likely there was a 'Due Date' for the implementation and no matter if the product was ready or not, it was being launched on the Due Date!

Welcome to the world of Software Development :( Beta testing = give it to the customers and let them find the bugs.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby east point » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:33 pm

Maybe time for everyone send email to Amtrak suggesting Moorman and Anderson try to navigate the web site with no one to give hints ! If anyone can speak to them make that suggestion !
east point

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Oct 18, 2017 10:50 pm

The Sept'17 System TT pdf is available now,as are the IL and MI Thanksgiving service TT's in pdf form!
Backshophoss

Postby gokeefe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 1:13 pm

Worth noting that using the "multi city" reservation tool allows one to book non-guaranteed connections. Interesting change.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby jonnhrr » Thu Oct 19, 2017 4:08 pm

gokeefe wrote:Worth noting that using the "multi city" reservation tool allows one to book non-guaranteed connections. Interesting change.

That's good to hear. I tried to book Portland ME - Chicago once on the old site and it was an exercise in frustration. Had to book it as 2 separate trips.
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
jonnhrr

Postby BandA » Thu Oct 19, 2017 6:35 pm

Does it give you a big flashing warning that the connection is not guaranteed?
BandA

Postby gokeefe » Thu Oct 19, 2017 7:35 pm

Yes
gokeefe
gokeefe

Next

Return to Amtrak