Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby jonnhrr » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:20 pm

"Guaranteed Rate Field" - given how the White Sox played this year it probably got nicknamed "guaranteed loss field" :)

I have no problem with the renaming as long as they just add it and still have 30th St. in the name, and only change the signs gradually rather than spending a lot of money they don't have.

Jon
Avatar Photo - P&W local from Gardner to Worcester at Morgan Rd., Hubbardston
User avatar
jonnhrr
 
Posts: 1042
Joined: Sun May 30, 2004 5:58 pm
Location: Sabattus ME USA

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby ExCon90 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 2:23 pm

Philadelphia currently enjoys a number of Transportation Centers that used to be "stations" and "terminals." I guess this means that "everything's up-to-date in Philadelphia"? What was wrong with 69th St. Terminal? It's still "69th St." to people around here.
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:49 am

LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

But Mr. Ridgefielder et al. are correct; to locals the Battery Tunnel is still the Battery Tunnel, the Triboro is still the Triboro, and the 59th St. Bridge is still the 59th. St. Bridge. IIRC Ed Koch himself was against the renaming of the 59th St. Bridge after him because he thought it was silly.

Oh yeah, and because my grandmother was the one who taught me how to ride the subway the A/C/E will always be the IND 8th Av Line and the 4/5/6 the IRT Lex. The plus side of this is that I can tell who's a railfan and who's not when I accidentally give directions using these archaic names. :wink:

Back on topic...completely pointless to rename 30th St. I wish our politicians had a better respect for history (and my tax dollar).
Jenny on a M2
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 am
Location: Somewhere along the New Haven Line...

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby R36 Combine Coach » Wed Oct 04, 2017 1:02 am

Tadman wrote:Pop quiz: You have a bus station, a train station, and a food court. What is it called? Evidently a transportation center, despite the fact it's really just a station. Maybe a terminal. Could be a Union Station given multiple carriers or modes. But a "transportation center" is just 80's MBA-speak because at that time, Union Stations were ratty old places. mmmkay.... that's long past.
Or be like St. Louis and use the name of "intermodal terminal", the NJT station at Hamilton when opened in early 1999 originally had been intended as a "intermodal station". SEPTA liberally uses the name "transit center" and even NJT jumped on board with the Trenton Transit Center and Pennsauken.
Since my friend continues to chain smoke nonstop, she is probably an Alco.
User avatar
R36 Combine Coach
 
Posts: 4862
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 8:51 pm

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby NealG » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:58 am

Tadman wrote:(nothing against the member NealG, just highlighting something that is silly)



Point taken and agreed to as well. No offense taken whatsoever -I knew exactly where you were coming from.
NealG
 
Posts: 253
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 9:39 am
Location: Roxbury Crossing

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Oct 04, 2017 2:45 pm

Jenny on a M2 wrote:LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

But Mr. Ridgefielder et al. are correct; to locals the Battery Tunnel is still the Battery Tunnel, the Triboro is still the Triboro, and the 59th St. Bridge is still the 59th. St. Bridge. IIRC Ed Koch himself was against the renaming of the 59th St. Bridge after him because he thought it was silly.

Oh yeah, and because my grandmother was the one who taught me how to ride the subway the A/C/E will always be the IND 8th Av Line and the 4/5/6 the IRT Lex. The plus side of this is that I can tell who's a railfan and who's not when I accidentally give directions using these archaic names. :wink:


Let's not give 'em ideas, but what has held them back from naming the Queens Midtown Tunnel?

Mr. Jenny, my Sister's three kids; all in their 40's and college graduates, which I guess makes them Gen X, live or have lived in Brooklyn. Mention to them those archaic terms IRT, BMT, and IND and that is "good for a huh".
Gilbert B Norman
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:52 am
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL (BNSF Aurora Sub; MP 18.71)

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby BandA » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:15 pm

In Boston, the MBTA allowed the developer to call their new Commuter Rail station Boston Landing instead of Brighton. But the developer paid for the station (and picked the location). Years ago they renamed the Mystic River Bridge the (Maurice) Tobin Bridge, and the Cottage Farm Bridge became the Boston University Bridge.
User avatar
BandA
 
Posts: 1880
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:47 am

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Backshophoss » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:36 pm

No Matter what the name becomes,figure on the "historical" name 30th Street Station to live on! :-)
Most people refer to what LIRR calls "Atlantic Terminal" as Flatbush Ave station. :wink:
Backshophoss
 
Posts: 4574
Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:58 pm

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Jenny on a M2 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 1:52 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:
Jenny on a M2 wrote:LOL I was driving up towards the Battery Tunnel a couple days ago and one of the ITS signs said something like "HLC TUN - 12 MIN". First thing that popped into my head was "HLC??"; Then I remembered the renaming of the Battery Tunnel.

But Mr. Ridgefielder et al. are correct; to locals the Battery Tunnel is still the Battery Tunnel, the Triboro is still the Triboro, and the 59th St. Bridge is still the 59th. St. Bridge. IIRC Ed Koch himself was against the renaming of the 59th St. Bridge after him because he thought it was silly.

Oh yeah, and because my grandmother was the one who taught me how to ride the subway the A/C/E will always be the IND 8th Av Line and the 4/5/6 the IRT Lex. The plus side of this is that I can tell who's a railfan and who's not when I accidentally give directions using these archaic names. :wink:


Let's not give 'em ideas, but what has held them back from naming the Queens Midtown Tunnel?

Mr. Jenny, my Sister's three kids; all in their 40's and college graduates, which I guess makes them Gen X, live or have lived in Brooklyn. Mention to them those archaic terms IRT, BMT, and IND and that is "good for a huh".


Possibly the ghosts of my grandfather and the other sandhogs who built the tunnel? I feel like these renamings to glorify politicians not involved with the construction of these facilities is a hauntable offense.

Mr. Norman, I was born at the Gen X/Millenial divide and I have friends in my age cohort who know those archaic names as well; it's really a function of whether you were taught them by your grandparents or not. It's too bad your sister's kids didn't listen to their railfan uncle more. :wink:

Oh, and I'm actually a lady so it's Ms. Jenny to you. :-D
Jenny on a M2
 
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:33 am
Location: Somewhere along the New Haven Line...

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Suburban Station » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:45 am

where is senator casey on expanding Amtrak state supported services in Pennsylvania to places like Reading or Pittsburgh?
Suburban Station
 
Posts: 3201
Joined: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:11 pm

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:01 am

Here is the ultimate self-deification - a Mayor-for-Life around these parts renaming a convention center for himself (oh of course, rubber stamped by the council):

The O'Hare Exposition Center opened in 1975. It has been renovated and expanded multiple times, and was renamed in 2000 for Mayor Donald Stephens


I had the dubious pleasure of visiting that facility for Continuing Ed. Parking was "hardly on the cheap" and you were not allowed to bring any food or drink in there (purchase on site? of course!!!).

So here's more on the Village of Rosemont and, of course, it's Boy Scout formation:

https://www.dailyherald.com/article/201 ... 160619106/

"Daddy, what's nepotism?"
Gilbert B Norman
 
Posts: 12887
Joined: Fri Mar 12, 2004 6:52 am
Location: Clarendon Hills, IL (BNSF Aurora Sub; MP 18.71)

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Kilo Echo » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:06 am

Backshophoss wrote:Most people refer to what LIRR calls "Atlantic Terminal" as Flatbush Ave station. :wink:

For those of us who remember the filthy, fetid Flatbush Av Station before it was rehabilitated, the renaming is understandable. That said, I still refer to the present-day R train as "the Fourth Avenue local."
Mind the gap
Kilo Echo
 
Posts: 36
Joined: Wed Jun 29, 2016 5:54 pm

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby Ridgefielder » Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:32 am

Jenny on a M2 wrote:Mr. Norman, I was born at the Gen X/Millenial divide and I have friends in my age cohort who know those archaic names as well; it's really a function of whether you were taught them by your grandparents or not. It's too bad your sister's kids didn't listen to their railfan uncle more. :wink:

Oh, and I'm actually a lady so it's Ms. Jenny to you. :-D

I'm going to second that, as someone solidly in the Gen X camp married to a Millennial. Plenty of people know/use the old names, especially if they're native NY'ers. It seems to me that the IRT in particular has a strong ghost presence, maybe because people realize the difference between the number and letter lines, or maybe because there are still several stations with "Interborough Rapid Transit" signage intact.

Worth noting that the old names aren't completely dead from an official standpoint. Even the R142s & 143s carry signs reading "Eastern Parkway Express," "6th Ave - Culver Local," and the like.
Ridgefielder
 
Posts: 2309
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2008 7:22 pm
Location: Harlem Division MP 15

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby liftedjeep » Fri Oct 06, 2017 3:24 pm

Looks like it's a done deal now, and the name change will at some point, take place. Per an announcement made this afternoon (10/6) by Sen. Bob Casey.

http://www.phillyvoice.com/amtrak-final ... t-station/

Ben
Check out my photo collection! : http://bkranefeld.rrpicturearchives.net
User avatar
liftedjeep
 
Posts: 217
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2016 6:58 pm
Location: Pennsauken, New Jersey

Re: Amtrak to re-name 30th St Station

Postby ExCon90 » Sat Oct 07, 2017 1:37 pm

"We look forward to working with stakeholders . . ." --and Casey's statement offered no dates. That gives them room to string it out until interest wanes and people forget about it--we may hope. "Working with" can take a long time.
ExCon90
 
Posts: 3459
Joined: Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:22 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests