Siemens-Alstom Merger & Amtrak

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Siemens-Alstom Merger & Amtrak

Postby gokeefe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:09 pm

Siemens has entered into an agreement to acquire a majority ownership interest in Alstom. As a result of this acquisition Amtrak will now have a single vendor for all of its new power (Chargers, Cities Sprinter/ACS-64, Avelia Liberty) and a significant part of their new coaches.

Here's the latest from Marketwatch.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Re: Siemens-Alstom Merger & Amtrak

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:39 pm

...and they might not be done with Bombardier, either!

http://www.railwayage.com/index.php/new ... rdier.html

Germany’s Siemens AG and France’s Alstom SA are discussing a merger to create a European rail transportation manufacturing conglomerate to counter growing competition from China, according to a report in the Sept. 23, 2017 Wall Street Journal. Meanwhile, Siemens continues to engage in talks with Canada’s Bombardier, Inc. about merging their railway businesses.
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Nasadowsk » Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:58 pm

I think Siemenstrom (Alstmens?) has enough to sort out without the mess that's BBD, and what does it buy them anyway? A lot of headaches? A lot of angry customers? Access to NJ Transit? Whoop de do.
Nasadowsk

Postby F-line to Dudley via Park » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:10 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:I think Siemenstrom (Alstmens?) has enough to sort out without the mess that's BBD, and what does it buy them anyway? A lot of headaches? A lot of angry customers? Access to NJ Transit? Whoop de do.

?
:wink:
F-line to Dudley via Park

Postby Backshophoss » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:36 pm

Watch for some European Union anti-trust action to pop up
Backshophoss

Postby gokeefe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:38 pm

Nasadowsk wrote:I think Siemenstrom (Alstmens?) has enough to sort out without the mess that's BBD, and what does it buy them anyway? A lot of headaches? A lot of angry customers? Access to NJ Transit? Whoop de do.

Nope ... just "Siemens" ... Alstom is being bought out. The process will be slow and the names probably won't fully change for several years but read the news and that is clearly what's happening.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby gokeefe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:41 pm

Backshophoss wrote:Watch for some European Union anti-trust action to pop up

Unlikely. The merger is in response to competitive pressure from China Railway Rolling Stock Corp (CRRC) which is itself a state owned business.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby bdawe » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:17 pm

If only the US counted enough in the world rolling stock market for US regulators to be able to dissuade such a pairing
B. Dawe's map of routes and urban populations https://brendandawe.carto.com/viz/80b9d ... /embed_map NOW updated with 2016 Canadian Populations
bdawe

Postby USRailFan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:19 am

bdawe wrote:If only the US counted enough in the world rolling stock market for US regulators to be able to dissuade such a pairing

Why should US regulators have anything to say at all on the affairs of European firms?
(Contrary to what the political left wants people to believe these days, it was the USA that once was a colony of a European nation, not vice versa)
USRailFan

Postby gokeefe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:27 am

They don't ... Until those firms do business in the United States and/or the merger creates a monopoly for a certain product in the U.S. market (which it probably won't).
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Gilbert B Norman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:18 am

One must wonder, and I don't know, to what extent European states have "buy at home" provisions on anything.

What would happen if The Donald took the Hoover Dam tour (if it even still offered post 9/11) and noted as I did some ASEA electrical equipment. I asked the guide; he said to me "they had the best price".
Gilbert B Norman

Postby gokeefe » Wed Sep 27, 2017 10:34 am

Also worth noting that since Alstom took over GE rail signaling that Siemens now will be the vendor for the Michigan and Illinois ITCS projects.
gokeefe
gokeefe

Postby Ridgefielder » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:25 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:One must wonder, and I don't know, to what extent European states have "buy at home" provisions on anything.

Believe that would be a violation of EU rules.
Ridgefielder

Postby Tadman » Wed Sep 27, 2017 11:51 am

Gilbert B Norman wrote:One must wonder, and I don't know, to what extent European states have "buy at home" provisions on anything.

What would happen if The Donald took the Hoover Dam tour (if it even still offered post 9/11) and noted as I did some ASEA electrical equipment. I asked the guide; he said to me "they had the best price".

I don't think they do. During the period of state ownership, BA was a Boeing-heavy carrier. AF is still 17% state-owned and they certainly have a strong Boeing presence in the fleet. SAS is about 50pct gov't owned and they are mostly Airbus but the Airbus constituents are mostly Germany/France/UK (and now Alabama!). I'd do the same analysis for railroad equipment but there is not a US builder for passenger equipment. There are plenty of EMD GT42 at DB Rail UK, but not sure if they were bought or inherited.
Tadman

Postby USRailFan » Wed Sep 27, 2017 2:34 pm

gokeefe wrote:They don't ... Until those firms do business in the United States and/or the merger creates a monopoly for a certain product in the U.S. market (which it probably won't).

The EU commission didn't protest against the McDonnell-Douglas/Boeing merger... (OK, so it'd be silly of them to do so since it actually strengthened European manufacturer Airbus' position, but still)
USRailFan

Next

Return to Amtrak