Northeast Regional Amfleet business class question

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Northeast Regional Amfleet business class question

Postby ferroequinologist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:44 pm

I'm considering a trip on train 65 in a couple week, and was considering business class. I've never ridden Amtrak business class (except Acela), what's that like? Are the seats substantially larger than coach? Does anyone have specs like pitch and width and max tilt angle to compare with the plane seats I'm used to sleeping on, either for coach or business?

A couple sites I found mention that the Business Class Amfleet for 66/67 has a roomier 2+1 configuration, instead of 2+2. Is that the case for 65 too?

Thanks in advance.
ferroequinologist

Re: Northeast Regional Amfleet business class question

Postby ferroequinologist » Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:46 pm

Oh, one additional question--on 65/66/67, does the crew dim the lights, or do any other similar sleep-friendly things?
ferroequinologist

Postby Tadman » Tue Sep 05, 2017 10:02 pm

I find the Amtrak business class equation to be a bit different than the airlines. Given that Amtrak already has those big seats, do you really need it? What really sells biz class for me is the general quietness and passenger demeanor in the northeast. In the midwest, anybody with a checkbook rides biz and you have the pajama patrol (IE the SWA casual traveler) on board. Not really worth it in the midwest.
Tadman

Postby Alco FA » Wed Sep 06, 2017 7:30 pm

My wife and I rode Train #67 (departing Boston on July 11) from Old Saybrook, CT to Washington, DC. The Business Class on our trip was a regular Business Class coach and not the 2-1 seating in the cafe car. Did not make much of a difference as the car was only about 1/4 full and we had plenty of room.

On our trip, the crews never lowered the lights for the entire run to Washington, DC. In addition, the crew that boarded in New York began to use the P.A. system to make announcements at 3:15 a.m. Not a bad trip overall, but we will probably wait until they restore the sleeper (whenever that happens...) before we take another overnight trip on #67.
Alco FA

Postby hi55us » Wed Sep 06, 2017 8:51 pm

I take 67/65 frequently from Boston-New London, Business Class is very hit or miss. 1/2 the time, you'll get the nicest coach in Amtrak's fleet (imo), which is the BC Car with 1-2 Leather seats. This is comparable to First Class on the Acela and nice for solo travelers. The other half of the time you'll get a regular business class car, which is only a small improvement over coach.

What I would do is plan on buying a coach ticket and if the 2-1 business class is on the train, ask about upgrading (or if you have the Amtrak CC, use your upgrade certificate). If you end up riding in coach, be sure to sit in the Quiet Car (usually the first car on this train), they do dim the lights every night and cut out the announcements.
hi55us

Postby GirlOnTheTrain » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:02 am

Business class is way more comfortable and conducive to sleeping than a plane. I can actually sleep on Amtrak as opposed to a plane....but I can do that in a normal coach seat too. For a normal regional trip I probably wouldn't bother, however on the Carolinian I won't go any other way now. Much more civilized, comfortable and pleasant.

The one time I took 67 from NHV to NYP (for a Carolinian connection, ugh.) I either inadvertently was in the quiet car or I had a decent crew...no PA and dimmed lights.
"I am no longer just a girl on the train, going back and forth without point or purpose."

Moderator: Amtrak, MTA Metro-North, MTA New York City Subway/PATH/NYC Area Light Rail
GirlOnTheTrain

Return to Amtrak