"No Checked Baggage" Designation

Discussion related to Amtrak also known as the National Railroad Passenger Corp.

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, gprimr1, Amtrak67 of America, Tadman

Re: "No Checked Baggage" Designation

Postby Rbts Stn » Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:20 pm

2 more new threads on TripAdvisor in the past 2 days asking how the heck folks are supposed to get their luggage from NYC to Boston or from NYC to Pittsburgh.

I have no idea if Amtrak monitors this board, but I guarantee you that for every person puzzled by the No Checked Baggage designation who takes the time to post on TripAdvisor, there are many others who think they just can't take their baggage onboard Amtrak and take the bus or fly instead.
Rbts Stn

Postby JimBoylan » Wed Aug 23, 2017 2:04 pm

While it will take forever to get there, does Amtrak allow checked baggage between New York and Pittsburgh or Boston via Washington or Rensselaer?
JimBoylan

Postby bratkinson » Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:26 pm

One the NEC corridor trains, do like everyone else does...roll it on yourself to the ''large bag' storage area at the end of each car. Just today, riding the NEC, I observed red caps placing passengers luggage in the wide open areas. I assume the passengers made red cap arrangements at the other end, as well.
bratkinson

Postby Greg Moore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:51 pm

JimBoylan wrote:While it will take forever to get there, does Amtrak allow checked baggage between New York and Pittsburgh or Boston via Washington or Rensselaer?

For Boston, I thought 66/67 still had a baggage car?
Check out QuiCR, Quick, Crowdsourced Responses for businesses.
Greg Moore

Postby CHTT1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:38 pm

Rbts Stn wrote:2 more new threads on TripAdvisor in the past 2 days asking how the heck folks are supposed to get their luggage from NYC to Boston or from NYC to Pittsburgh.

I have no idea if Amtrak monitors this board, but I guarantee you that for every person puzzled by the No Checked Baggage designation who takes the time to post on TripAdvisor, there are many others who think they just can't take their baggage onboard Amtrak and take the bus or fly instead.

What's so hard to understand about "checked baggage?" I guarantee you that airline passengers know the difference between checked baggage and carry-on baggage.

On European railroads there is no such thing as checked baggage. Everybody drags their bags on board and finds a place to store them.
CHTT1

Postby gprimr1 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:39 pm

66/67 do, but that means you have to drop your bags off at the station, and then come back the next day.

I think a wording change to "Self Service Luggage Racks" would make sense.
-Greg Primrose
Moderator: General Discussion: High Speed Rail Amtrak
"I'm leaving on a jet train, don't know when I'll be back again. Bags are packed and there ready to go."
Ave Atque Vale
gprimr1

Postby Greg Moore » Wed Aug 23, 2017 11:07 pm

Right, but I was referring to Mr Boylan's question about routing through Rensselaer (presumably for Boston).
Greg Moore

Postby Tadman » Thu Aug 24, 2017 7:51 am

CHTT1 wrote:
Rbts Stn wrote:2 more new threads on TripAdvisor in the past 2 days asking how the heck folks are supposed to get their luggage from NYC to Boston or from NYC to Pittsburgh.

What's so hard to understand about "checked baggage?" I guarantee you that airline passengers know the difference between checked baggage and carry-on baggage.

On European railroads there is no such thing as checked baggage. Everybody drags their bags on board and finds a place to store them.

This. Given that a train does not have the space constraints of an airplane, I carry my stuff on every time. The only time I checked, they lost my luggage. Not worth the hassle.
Tadman

Postby Arborwayfan » Fri Aug 25, 2017 1:26 pm

I think it's a reasonable thing for Amtrak to explain better on its website. I've read some of those threads. At least some of the people who are confused seem to think that "no checked baggage" means that only bags small enough to be airplane carry-on bags are allowed. They quote the place on the site that says you can have 2 carry-ons and say "how can I fit everything into two little carry-ons"? I guess for some people the concept of a carry-on is so strong that they don't bother to read the dimensions and weights.
Arborwayfan

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Aug 25, 2017 2:24 pm

I wonder if there'd actually be enough demand to trial-offer baggage service on some Regional routes. Nothing big, a 4'x4' walk-in closet in a cafe or business car would be large enough as a test.
mtuandrew

Postby Rockingham Racer » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:17 pm

I would say that as we age as a nation, there will be a need for some trains to have checked baggage east of New York. Having it only on 66/67 doesn't cut it anymore, I don't think.
Rockingham Racer

Postby Backshophoss » Fri Aug 25, 2017 9:27 pm

It would have been nice if the ex-US Army cars(Kitchen) had been kept in service as NEC only Baggage/Express cars.
A rebuild with a truck swap to the GSC 70's used on the View I's would've allowed for 125 mph service. :wink:
Backshophoss

Postby mtuandrew » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:54 pm

Rockingham Racer wrote:I would say that as we age as a nation, there will be a need for some trains to have checked baggage east of New York. Having it only on 66/67 doesn't cut it anymore, I don't think.

Particularly as Amtrak becomes the province of more and more well-off older folks, as it's rapidly becoming unaffordable for the younger generations except as a treat.

Backshophoss: why those cars specifically? I don't know anything about them other than their having fewer miles than most postwar lightweight cars.
mtuandrew

Postby Greg Moore » Sat Aug 26, 2017 7:05 am

mtuandrew wrote:
Rockingham Racer wrote:I would say that as we age as a nation, there will be a need for some trains to have checked baggage east of New York. Having it only on 66/67 doesn't cut it anymore, I don't think.

Particularly as Amtrak becomes the province of more and more well-off older folks, as it's rapidly becoming unaffordable for the younger generations except as a treat.

Backshophoss: why those cars specifically? I don't know anything about them other than their having fewer miles than most postwar lightweight cars.

Is there evidence that it is becoming the province of more and more well-off older folks?

My understanding is that if anything the average age of riders has been going down as more younger folks are w/o cars and more likely to use various forms of public transportation.
Greg Moore

Postby Literalman » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:52 pm

Merely anecdotal, I know, but yesterday I took 65 and 66 from Alexandria, Va., to Newport News and back, and in both directions the trains, which seemed close to full, appeared to be patronized especially by younger people. Although being 64, I find that more and more people seem younger to me.
Steve Dunham
Alexandria, Virginia
www.stevedunham.50megs.com
Literalman

PreviousNext

Return to Amtrak